DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Big Day

Florence is being overrun by the Kimye wedding party today. I did not get an invite. The destination wedding is a relatively new concept. Why not make your family and friends traipse all over the world on your whim. For normal folk, the destination is usually where one of the couple's family lives. We did San Diego so a lot of folks had to travel, but I'm sure they thought it was worth it.

I'm not well acquainted with Neko Case but I don't think I'd like to piss her off.


We had dinner last night at #1's house, featuring a fine pasta dish with chard and a hint of nutmeg accompanied by wine braised sausages.  We were the first to experience their new kitchen, which is almost as nice as ours. All the village folks that eventually read this, which is by no means a foregone conclusion, will be jealous. However, the DJs are the Kimyes of our group, clueless yet universally loved trendsetters.

Tonight is my turn to cook. The Unc and spouse are coming and bringing over the folks that had us down to their Monterey house. My chicken piccata is poor repayment for that wonderful weekend but its all I got. The wife is making her chocolate torte, so there's that too.

Tomorrow we're going into the city to wander about and then back to FC for a BBQ. The wife has invited me to join Tripit, so I gotta get serious about some planning for our late June trip to Ireland/England/Paris. I found out today that we got a good deal on a London hotel from our first au pair, a bigwig in the Hilton organization. Speaking of Wigs, we are meeting them in Paris for the last four days of the trip. I just fulfilled my obligation to the Wig by emailing him our hotel and the list of Top 50 restaurants in Paris, for one of which I expect him to get us a reservation. Le Chateaubriand is first choice. This will be my third Top 50 experience. I don't do destination weddings but I'm self indulgent in other ways. I say this in the spirit of transparency. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home