DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Le Weekend

I go to bed at 9, I wake up at 5:30. I go to bed at 11, I wake up at 5:30. If any of you know what the hell the dealio is, please let me know. And who amongst you called a UConn/Kentucky final?

Last night was an 11:00 night. We had The Bankers over for dinner. We were supposed to have the #1s over as well but only the distaff side showed up. #1 was experiencing some tummy issues so he stayed home. I made the Osso Buco for which I am rightly famous. It was quite tasty but I may have cooked it a little long as it was completely off the bone when I served it. That in no way detracted from everyone's gustatory pleasure. The Banker brought a 2011 David Bruce Pinot. We later joked about looking up wines that people bring to see what they cost, which is exactly what I did about ten minutes ago. We did not crack it open last night and since it was about triple what I usually pay for a bottle of wine, it will be going in the closet for a special occasion.

As we were outnumbered, The Banker and I slipped away after the meal to catch some of the ballgame. It was over by that time but I had recorded it. We saw the last few minutes although we knew the outcome. We also caught the ESPN coverage discussing consecutive NCCA tourney wins. We were taken aback by UCLA's 38 so we had to do some research. They indeed took it every year from '64 to '73, excepting the famous Texas Western 1966 victory. That's the one they made into the movie Glory Road. The Banker also appreciated the framed copy of The Times Herald Record's front page from 10/17/69 that hangs in my research center, as he's an upstate boy. That was the day after the Met's took it all, from worst to first.

After I cleaned up the kitchen, we went back to join the ladies. You may ask, "DJ, you made dinner and you cleaned up?". The answer is yes. My wife leads a charmed life. The conversation turned to our aches and pains so I highly recommended my masseuse at Thip Arpa right here in our suburban paradise. I go every couple weeks to get unkinked. You can get a three massage package for $165, which is one hell of a deal.

Since we were having company Saturday night, I had to make sure everything was in tip top shape. I took care of the lawn in the morning. The plastic bag brigade was not in evidence this week in the big FC. I managed to mow 3 separate fresh piles of canine excrement. I may make fun of folks I see walking their dogs with a bag of shit in their hands, but I appreciate this trend. Back when I was a kid, the practice did not exist, My old man would get livid when he'd encounter a steamer on our lawn. A lot of things pissed him off, but this may have made the top of his list.

In the wider world, lots of stuff is going on. Miley Cyrus got a new puppy to cheer her up after her beloved dog Floyd went the way of all flesh. If Miley's sad, I'm sad. I just hope that Floyd did not end up in Yulin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/19/dog-meat-festival_n_3468245.html

The debate about whether coffee is good for you or bad for you rages on. I'd like to see more research on the therapeutic value of Irish Coffee.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275028.php

Here's three recent headlines from HuffPost Celebrity

Khloe Kardashian's Curves Are Killing It In Sexy Swimsuit
Eddie Murphy's Girlfriend Sizzles In A Bikini
Kaley Cuoco's Breast Implants Were The 'Best Decision' She Ever Made

HuffPost Celebrity has a lot in common with my front lawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home