DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Waste Not

It's a new era in waste management in Foster City. I got up-to-date recycling bins this week. We no longer have to separate the recycling into paper, plastic and glass. It is now "single stream". I noticed that 4M has had this for a while in San Jose so I guess we on The Peninsula are just a skosh behind The Valley in these matters.

The wife and I went to a woman's basketball game at SF State last week to watch them take on UCSD. It was close for a while but UCSD went up by 20 at one point and took it 66-52. I felt bad for the SFSU cheerleaders. I thought they usually traveled in packs of ten or more but this crew was a few shy. They were peppy enough but their exhortations fell on deaf ears. I looked back at the crowd a few times and they were unmoved, staring blankly ahead during their routines.

The big news in my life recently is that I bought a new pair of shoes. They are both stylish and supportive of my rapidly aging body. I wore them for about a week with no problem but then at work this week they became quite uncomfortable. What the hell is going on? Is it time to trim the toenails again? After breakfast I took them off to find a sock stuffed in each one from the previous day's gym visit. Getting dressed at 6am has its downside.

I was at the farmer's market this morning and a guy stopped me and told me I looked like Bruce Bochy, SF Giants manager. I don't happen to agree with him but I didn't want to burst his bubble so we exchanged pleasantries and then I bought some artichokes. I'm going to take Sonny Boy Two for a swim this afternoon then I'm heading to a Holiday Champagne Soiree tonight. I lead a glamorous life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home