DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

DJ's New Year's Rockin' Eve

I just got back from a brisk outdoor swim at the posh club, where I battled the elements and came out on top. I'm loaded for bear and ready to deliver one of the finest blog posts of the last week.

I hope you all had an excellent Festivus. Since we are a multi-culturally oriented household, we celebrated Christmas as well. We had a few families from the village over and we'll also be spending New Year's Eve in the warm glow of village amity. I gotta make some new friends.

Christmas was quite a feast. We started off with cocktails, including Vespers and martinis made with the designer gin I gave my wife as a present this year. Dinner was an excellent ham from Draeger's, with some killer sides contributed by the "extended team". The wife went to try to get a ham Thursday from Whole Foods, but they were all out. The butcher said that "mom and pop store" in San Mateo might have some. He meant Draeger's. Well, I guess if he's referring to the blue blood mummys and daddys of Hillsborough, that might be an apt description.

We all got our fill, especially of the desserts. The Hotelier's family went bonkers and brought enough sweets for my entire neighborhood. And they were damn good. The only thing I didn't try was the huge yule log cake that is now taking up an entire shelf in my garage freezer. I wanted to have some but the dietary advice my mother gave me decades ago has stuck with me. She told me, "DJ, never eat anything bigger than your head".

I'm off work this week so we're spending a lot of family time together. SB1 is logging a few hours doing aftercare at the club but this has not prevented him from him from jacking up my grocery bill. We all went to Costco yesterday but left him home or I would have had to write a check from the home equity line. We did pick up some NY strips which we'll save for his send off dinner. The girl has a tournament this week. They beat Castro Valley in a squeaker last night and we're heading back tonight for more. She had a hell of a game. She was the team's top scorer and made one spin move that hasn't been seen since I roamed the courts.

I could get some more yardage out of the Costco visit but I think I'll save that for my other writing gig. As you are aware, I tend to recycle blog material for those efforts. That will continue unabated. I expect my next column to be 50% blog material. Its the environmentally correct thing to do.

I got an email - I should say philippic - from my good pal The Wig after my last post. To depersonalize it even more, he sent it to my work email address. It looks like we are going to have to start working harder on our relationship. Little does he know, at least until he reads this, that an orange is on the way. That's correct, singular. It probably should have been there by now but they've had terrible weather conditions on the East coast. That's my story.

Happy New Year to all my peeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home