DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Merry

The smile, or smirk, may have faded from your face since reading my annual Christmas letter, so it's time to give you more fodder and hit the SLA. I did get a little input on my holiday missive from The Wig. I can almost envision him now, in a pensive mood, asking himself, "Where the hell are the blood oranges?"

Sonny Boy One arrived from DC this week. We arm wrestled in a Festivus feats of strength event yesterday. I lost. The girl got back from a Fort Bragg tournament around the same time. They lost the final game after stomping the competition in the first two. Nonetheless, I expect perfection. She's getting a lump of coal.

I spent most of this past week in Palm Desert with the in-laws. Does that sound appealing? You've seen the movies of people stuck in the desert, desperate for water, seeing mirages, swimming in the sand. Yeah, add in-laws to that. That was my holiday vacation.

We actually had a very good time and are grateful to my mother-in-law for hooking us up at her Marriott timeshare. My wife did a lot of shopping and I did a lot of lying around. I had a chance to make my first foray into SteinMart. I've seen the commercials but have never been to one. I renamed it ShitMart.

The drives to and from were pretty uneventful. I did see a tractor trailer with a large sign, "Trucking for Jesus". Try as I might, I can't come up with a good line for that one so I'm just reporting the event. We caught a bit of rain on the way down but were lucky to avoid the heavy rainfall before returning. It rained quite a bit during our stay but the sun greeted us as we were packing the car to leave. Timing is everything.

Merry Christmas to all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home