DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oh, The Loneliness

I got together Saturday night with some of the townies. All the wives had skated for the weekend so we were left to our own devices. To be honest, I'm not really crazy about these guys but we bonded since we were all so distraught that we couldn't be spending the time with our spouses. We met at #2's house for a little tea and sympathy. You know most of the guys. #1, #2, and The Exec were there. I haven't mentioned The Banker before, but he was our fifth wheel. They're all successful guys, mainly because, as that groundbreaking SJ State study I mentioned previously pointed out, they drink.

In addition to the tea, we had some martinis. #2 mixed up the first batch and managed to get half in our glasses and the other half on his kitchen floor. Bartending is not his thing but he did perfectly grill our steaks, which were served along with corn and brussel sprouts. The Exec introduced me to the Peppertini, and I'm not sure I'm going to forgive him for meddling with a classic. At least he didn't try plying us with mojitos. Getting back to those brussel sprouts, every time I get together with these guys we have them. I can't figure it out. I'm bringing the vegetable next time.

After dinner we ventured out on the local waterway. #2 was our skipper in his seaworthy vessel, the name of which I'm trying to recall. Oh yes, Heart of Darkness, that's it. We really opened up to each other during that cruise. I shared something deeply personal. I let them all know I was suing my dad for never having a clown at any of my childhood birthday parties, let alone a bounce house. I've been carrying that a long time. My lawyer says I have a good case. #1 stated that this has also been a difficult time in his life. I pressed him for more details. He said it began the day W got inaugurated. On the bright side, The Exec informed us he was in discussions with some network counterparts about adding to one of TV's biggest franchises. He's already submitted scripts for the first seven episodes of CSI San Mateo.

My active social life continues next weekend. I'm heading off to Tahoe with 4M, TK, and The Upgrade King. Let's see how my wife likes being stuck at home alone with three kids. I'm hoping to be able to plumb this trip for some blog material but I'm not optimistic. You see, these guys are a lot like me. By that, I mean they are boring as hell.

1 Comments:

  • At 10/03/2006 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I take pride in being boring as hell.

    The Upgrade King

     

Post a Comment

<< Home