DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Edge

The family trotted up to the North Bay this past weekend to picnic with The Poughkeepsie Kid and his wife, Mrs. PK. This is an annual event they put on with a bunch of old co-workers and hangers on. Back in the 80s, The Poughkeepsie Kid hired me at a place sometimes referred to as The Edge. It was on the edge of SF and a lot of the staff was on the edge as well. It was a school for disturbed kids. I got hired for a few reasons. I was big, I was fast, and I was a fellow upstate NY hillbilly. The place has taken on legendary status for some of us. Not only did half of my West Coast friends work there, but I found a wife when I wasn’t even looking. It was definitely the place to hook up. At last count we knew of around a dozen couples that met there.

I met my chum The Wolverine at The Edge. Guess what? He met his wife there. The Wolverine is the overly sensitive type. I just got a nice headline from him saying “What’s the latest workout craze? Facial fitness” He then scrawled in crayon that I needed it. Talk about your weak attempts at humor. But his cutting skills are improving. It’s not easy to work with those kindergarten scissors but his wife won’t let him have the regular kind.

Another of my regular readers came out of there. He thinks he deserves a cool blog nickname and now he’s got one. The Phoenix Flyboy escaped The Edge a bachelor but that didn’t last long. We used to take in ballgames at the Stick back when Jeff Leonard and Robby Thompson were playing to day game crowds of 10,000. We always managed to get choice seats back then. Now I gotta rely on yet another Edge alumnus, Double R, in order to get good tickets to Pac Bell SBC ATT Park. Come to think of it, he hasn’t invited me to a game this year. He moved up to the gold country a while back. He felt that one of the biggest advantages of the area was that I don’t live there. Friends forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home