DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, September 09, 2006

In Vino Veritas

I was in my favorite wine store recently, K&L in Redwood City. I came across a wine described as having “brooding depth and nuance”. The only problem was that at $14.99, it was beyond my budget. I instead picked up some Bogle Petite Syrah and Marietta Old Vine Red Lot 40. At $8.99 and $9.99 respectively, they’re a bargain in a bottle. I have my crony 4M to thank for setting me in the right direction. Both wines get 90 points from DJ.

I believe I also have brooding depth and nuance. However, Uncle Phil, another Edge vet, feels I lack subtlety. I used to be more subtle, such as back when we played hoops on Thursday nights in The Edge’s cracker box gym. These four on four half court games of renown were a staff rite of passage, and they carried on long after we all found other careers. I think I subtly left Uncle Phil flat footed during one of those games with my patented spin move. It always worked at least once.

I did get too big for my britches though. I was out one Friday night years back with Unc and the Wolverine. We were spending quality time at one of our favorite watering holes, The Persian Aub Zam Zam Room, in the heart of the Haight. After one too many martinis, I challenged them to a 2 on 1 game the next day. We played through the hangovers and I went down, but not without a fight. The combo of Uncle Phil’s stellar inside game and The Wolverine’s weak-kneed jumper sent me to showers a loser, by three points as I recall.

Back to The Zam Zam Room, a part of SF folklore. From long before the Summer of Love through to the 1990’s, it was ruled by owner and red-vested bartender Bruno. Bruno did not take any crap. He must have 86’d more than his share of freaks He was well into his 60s when I met him, but I made every effort to stay on his good side. If you came in asking for a margarita or a mojito, you were summarily sent to the bar down the street. I went back recently to The Zam Zam with Uncle Phil and The Wolverine. Some former patrons bought the place after Bruno died and keep it running but it wasn’t the same. You can’t go home again.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/15/2006 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, as your blog grows in dark, nuanced infamy, I see that you need not only an editor, but also a fact checker. I'm volunteering, but only because I love you madly. The mighty jumper you refer to is copyrighted as the "pigeon toed money shot". I may have weak knees but at least I can play some D. Also, me and Unc took your siily ass 21 to 16. The Wolverine

     

Post a Comment

<< Home