DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, August 10, 2024

You From Jersey?

We flew into DC Thursday, so I got to check out SB1 and LGMG’s beautiful abode, which was a couple blocks from our VRBO. We chowed down on several pizzas that evening before heading back our basement digs, where I had to dodge the low ceiling in the living room area.  SB1’s house has the same layout.  I managed to get 11 or 12 hours of sleep that night, so I was ready for our only full DC day.  The yutes were working so the wife and I drove to Silver Springs for brunch. The normal breakfast selections were unavailable, so I put together bacon, potatoes and eggs from side dishes, which all arrived on small plates at different times, but was serviceable.


That evening brought us to a neighborhood Basque place called Atxondo.  The girls had gotten in from Portland a few hours earlier and #1’s SB1 and daughter-in-law joined us. His SB1 offered me a handshake and I decided to give him a hug, so I’ve clearly gone over to the softie side. #1’s SB1 also brought up my Air Supply parody of “I’m all out of hugs. I don’t want to touch you”. That kid has a good memory. We also had a discussion about blog names for those two, but since I’ve barely been able to name my two daughter-in-laws, that may take some time.


We shared two seafood paellas and multiple tapas, along with cocktails and a couple very reasonably priced ($36) bottles of wine. With eight of us, I was surprised that they did not tack on a service charge, but that saved me some dough when I stiffed them on the tip. #1 has not responded to my SquareCash request for payment for his youngsters.


We hit the road yesterday afternoon for the drive to Stone Harbor, NJ.  SB1 had a steady hand on the wheel, dealing with lots of traffic, rain and some NJ back roads. The highlight of that drive was the stop at the Joseph Robinette Biden rest stop in Delaware. The kids decided to go with healthy choices of Popeye’s Chicken and Panda Express, while the wife and I had generic turkey sandwiches. We got in about 8:30 and my brother-in-law poured us some drinks.  The rest of his family will be arriving over the next few days.


I said in my last blog that I might be getting one out from the road.  I had not planned to do that quite as quickly but an interesting event transpired this morning which I thought I’d share. We had a good breakfast with my wife, SB1 and my brother-in-law. The girl and AG decided to get something to go so they could watch the Olympics women’s soccer championship game. After breakfast we were walking to the car. When crossing the main square at 96th St. and 3rd Ave, I made it about 10 feet into the crosswalk when my shorts fell down. I stated “old man alert” among the giggles and snickers and several hands trying to help me. I made it back to the curb to sort myself out before awaiting the next walk signal. I will not be posting a re-creation picture like I did on my 9/22/23 blog.


1 Comments:

  • At 8/11/2024 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When does your pants falling down stop becoming "an accident " and something that the DA will use to demonstrate a pattern of lascivious behavior?

    Asking for a friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home