DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, July 20, 2024

I Have Been Remiss

On my last post I came up with a blog name for my new daughter-in-law.  It then dawned on me that I’ve never come up with one for my daughter-in-law of almost two years.  What kind of blogger, nay, what kind of father-in-law am I?  I mulled over a few ideas and then reviewed them with her.  I think this is the first time I’ve done that.  What we have come up with is LGMG (local girl makes good).

On the health front, I had my shot, aka a bilateral transforaminal epidural steroid injection, on July 9. The doc said it would take two weeks to have full effect. They were going to give me something to sedate me before the procedure, but I eschewed it, due to the fact that I’m a stoic, manly man. Plus, I was already rickety enough. The shot has allowed me to go off the Advil but I still have leg weakness etc., so I’m seeing the neurosurgeon on August 2. Getting old is not for lightweights.  My buddy Wig is getting his hip replaced this week and my driveway cocktail neighbor - hey, I should come up with a blog name for her – had her knee replaced last week. 

Speaking of The Wig, he re-sent this picture that he took ten years ago. He should understand that my feelings are still a little raw on this one.  I was going to send him a massive floral display after his procedure, but I may need to re-think that.


So, was everyone glued to their TV for the RNC like I was? Wankfest 2024 concluded with a 90 minute ramble by The Orange Duce. He tried to display the kinder, gentler Trump but he can only talk so long before spewing vitriol. Many idiots wore ear bandages, but heck, that’s not cult-like behavior, is it?

Those of us to the left of Vlad the Impaler have our own problems. The Dems should have figured out a solution several years ago so we wouldn’t be in our current situation. I’m hoping that most people will feel like one pundit I read, who said “I’d vote for a skeleton before I’d vote for Trump”. The DNC may need to be an open convention, but just don’t float Bob Menendez’s name.

OK, it’s time to get to the lighter side of blogging. My wife and I concluded a mini vacation yesterday. We squatted at the apartment of one of her work friends on 29th St. We caught the Wednesday matinee of Mrs. Doubtfire along with #1 and Barbie. A husband-and-wife team were the leads, and we enjoyed all the dancing and singing, including some very talented kids. From there we went for cocktails at Sprezzatura. I went with the bargain basement Negroni Classico for $19. The place is pretty classy, so they wouldn’t let us stay for dinner.  We then took a driverless Waymo to the Michelin-starred Octavia.  We all decided to go with the chef’s menu and were delighted with it. We paired that with the reasonably-priced Domaine Benastra Petite Soeur, which we enjoyed so much we got a couple more.

The next day was lower key, partly because I had walked quite a bit, relatively, on Wednesday and needed some rest. We had lunch at Henry’s Hunan on Church. I was hankering for Kung Pao something, but we had to keep the heat toned down for my wife, so we had onion cakes, cold noodle salad and garlic chicken. Whatever you order, it is always good at Henry’s.

We did dinner at Uma Casa, an eight-year-old Portuguese restaurant on Church. We had a little wait trying to get the right bottle of wine, but it was worth it. We had a nice chat with the owner’s wife when she brought it.  She said summer is their slow season, when a lot of customers go to the Azores. Many customers of Portuguese descent come in from the East Bay. Uma Casa offers a prix fixe 3 course meal for $54, which is a hell of a deal.  My wife and I negotiated which dishes to order, since we would share them. The portions were generous, and we had food to take home, which provided the bulk of my lunch and dinner yesterday. My wife is going to recommend this place to her friend and I’m recommending it to you.

Would you like a celebrity update? I’m glad to oblige.  I have to admit I was unhappy to read this headline.


My thought is he should work on a sequel to Waterworld or The Postman instead. And there was an article about somebody trying to match up Costner and Hota Kotb. Hold the phone! I don’t see that one happening.

And then there’s this.

I really don’t know too many women in their late sixties that want to be pregnant again. Maybe start a charity instead Kris.

I’ll close with a request. Please! Please! I’d like to hear nothing further about the Hawk Tuah girl.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home