DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Adios Mayo

We had a boy’s video call scheduled for Friday, but it ended up being a one on one with me and #1.  He reminded me of the paucity of blog product, so I decided to do something about it.

This is the first post from my grandly refurbished home office.  No more popcorn ceiling and crappy light.  I have a new desk that moves up and down with the push of a button, but that is used for my Titan of Telecom activities. I have been sitting in the dining room for months so I’m glad to be back where the vast majority of my creative genius is usually generated.

We’ve been able to do some socializing during the pandemic.  I’ve mentioned our weekly cocktail party, driveway style, but we’ve also had some events in our back yard.  Last weekend the Hoteliers came over along with The Exec for a beer can chicken feast that included a new recipe my wife dug up for healthy BBQ style beans and the girl’s cabbage salad.  You see, I don’t have to do it all alone, just most of it. We somehow ended up with three bottles of Hendricks gin recently, so one was put in the freezer.  This was a new concept to The Hotelier.  We were glad to be able to introduce him to a trick most college punks know. He and the wives quite enjoyed it, but I stuck with the Zin.

Last night was the Mashie and Unc Show.  We provided more BBQ chicken, this time thighs with yet another new recipe, for marinade.  The wife and I decided that marinade was OK, but we need to “kick it up a notch”, as someone once said.  There were also more beans – different recipe – and cabbage salad.  Unc and Mashie’s daughter and boyfriend also joined us.

All hell is breaking loose in our country.  I got a report Friday night from 4M in San Jose about the nearby sirens, helicopters and brush fire smoke.  A bunch of knuckleheads blocked 101 and started attacking cars.  It would be nice if we had an empathetic president that could say some sincere words to try to calm things down.  Instead we get “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”. I saw on Twitter that his staff was trying to get him to make a statement on the rioting, but you know it will just be some teleprompter bullshit voiced in a monotone fashion with a blank expression.

#1 sent me this recent article.  He said it was right up my alley and he was right.  I think I could have written it, or at least most of it.  I do have to admit that I did not know who Amanda Palmer or Doja Cat were, so I consider reading it a broadening experience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/05/29/celebrities-meltdown-may-doja-cat-lana-del-rey/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home