DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, January 20, 2020

MLK Day

My father shares Dr. King’s actual birthday.  Pops would have been 99 this year, eight years older than MLK.  I know most folks have a holiday today, but it is not a day off for me, The Titan of Telecom, The Bandwidth Bigwig.  However, it looks like my customer is off so it might be a little slow.

The posh club is open, so I was able to start my day off with twelve brisk laps.  And I did some bike work this weekend to keep my trainer as well as my wife happy.  You will see a transformation in 2020, as I plan to hit the weights as well.  Who’s buying that?

I imagine you folks, being sophisticated gourmands, are familiar with that NOLA classic, blackened redfish.  Yesterday my wife riffed on that theme with her blackened cheese enchiladas.  We had the FC fun bunch over to watch the Niners grate the Cheeseheads. I heard that one on the radio.  In addition to the enchiladas, we served up boiled meat tacos.  Now I understand that may not sound terribly appealing but that is essentially what carnitas are.  You take a big old pork shoulder and simmer it in water with a little orange juice and spices for about three hours.  Then you crisp it up in the oven.  It was a hit, but maybe those enchiladas should have been taken out a tad sooner.  Everybody chowed down to their hearts content and went home with a to-go box.  And I still ended up freezing a boatload of carnitas.  Maybe eight pounds was a miscalculation for the crowd of eleven.

It sure looks like El Jefe Naranjo’s legal dream team is coming together.  I read an article about one of the recent additions, entitled "Ken Starr Is America’s Most Poisonous Creep".  And Alan Dershowitz had a little trouble on CNN yesterday explaining his role on the team.  However, he does seem to be on board with the defense strategy that abuse of power is not impeachable.  These assholes will twist themselves in knots to serve someone who’ll crap on them whenever convenient.  It looks like they’re taking their guiding philosophy from the Rudy Giuliani “Truth Isn’t Truth” school.

I missed the SAG Awards but heard there was some Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston interaction and the concomitant Twitter nostalgia.  I know our culture is obsessed with celebrity but I’m also rich and pretty and I’d like some attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home