DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, May 04, 2020

I Kept My Promise, You Keep Your Distance

I got birthday greetings from Dr. Joe this morning.  Being a renowned infectious diseases doctor in the middle of a pandemic is a poor excuse for being three days late, but I think I am big enough to not let it affect our relationship.

We did the usual driveway cocktail party up the street for my birthday Friday.  I ate a burrito the size of my forearm and our hosts whipped up some tasty margaritas from scratch. None of that treacly mix was involved.  The girl and I had a laugh as she tried to carry both the leftover birthday cake and a folding chair on our trek back home.  It may have been the margaritas talking.

Saturday night brought us to Unc and Mashie’s deck to celebrate my wife’s bday.  Unc grilled up some steak and chicken to accompany brussel sprouts roasted to perfection.  We kept our distance, with maybe a few lapses.  We discussed doing a road trip with them up to Portland when the lockdown eases.  We are all dreaming of that day but will need to be satisfied with San Mateo re-opening parks this week as a small step forward.

I did a meat stock up this weekend at Draeger’s, but their counter was full, plus the president* will be invoking the War Powers Act where it really counts, at meat processing plants, so I should be able to relax.  Do we have a national stockpile of bacon?  I will ask Jared.

Can you guys believe Diamond and Silk got the boot by Fox?  They are so grounded. It does not really make sense given they are still letting Hannity, Ingraham, Pirro and the rest of the loons spew their poison. However, I do appreciate them bringing us the narcissist-in-chief from the Lincoln Memorial yesterday.

Celebrity news?  Is there any?  4M notified me that Kylie Jenner purchased a $36.5M mansion.  Nobody deserves it more, but I understand that there is some controversy as to whether she is a self-made billionaire.  Also, I can track down some cute celebrity parenthood quotes if there is a demand for that sort of thing.  Lastly, Madonna tested positive for COVID 19 antibodies.  One can only hope it has not affected her magnificent singing voice.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/04/2020 6:14 PM, Blogger Jim Ambras said…

    Hey, don't diss Madonna. She's actually really talented. And born the same day/year as yours truly.

     
  • At 5/11/2020 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I once went to a Mexican restaurant where they advertised "Burritos As Big As Your Head". Foolishly, I took my little brother with me, and he asked the waitress if he could have a burrito as big as MY head.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home