DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, March 20, 2020

Coronavirus and Construction

We got back in our house this past weekend after a week in SF, just in time to shelter in place.  In hindsight, that week of restaurant touring may not have been the best idea, but the closures started to peak this week, with six Bay Area counties announced earlier this week and the entire state yesterday. I’ll give you the daily restaurant reviews to start, since none of us will be having a nice meal out for a while.

Monday brought us to Mama Ji’s down the hill. For some reason we ordered the Hot-and-Numbing Fish, which was as advertised. It consisted of tasty white fish in a broth topped by a mountain of chili peppers.  My wife burnt her tongue, as she does not have my many years of experience eating at Henry’s Hunan.  The walk back to the house was rigorous enough, and the beginning of some geezer hip pain I’m still working through.

https://www.mamajissf.com/

Tuesday brought us to Padrecito, where we ordered two Padrecitos that consisted of blanco tequila, mezcal, lime and agave.  I can’t remember what we ate but it was pretty good, and it fortified me for the hilly walk home. 

https://www.padrecitosf.com/home

Wednesday’s dinner was at Canela on Market. It is a Spanish restaurant that we went to years ago when the #1s first got their place on Corbett. Did you know that canela in Spanish means cinnamon?  Watch this space for future language lessons.  We met Son of Wig #2 and his girlfriend at Canela.  They were prompt and already seated by the time we got there.  We greeted them with an elbow bump and started our tour of the tapas menu.  We decided to limit ourselves to twelve or so choices.  The boquerones, white anchovies, brought me back to Madrid fall 1980, where I’d have them with a draft beer while standing in a small bar near my house on Paseo de Santa Maria de la Cabeza. About half-way through the meal I ordered a second bottle of wine, unaware at the time that Young Wig was going to snatch the check. I appreciate that the young man is as generous as his father, and I realize he is making decent dough at The Google, but I still think he should have let the boomer cash take care of it.

https://canelasf.com/

Our last dinner was at Takara in the Castro.  We first stopped at Toad Hall for a Manhattan and then dug into the sushi.  They have quite an array of rolls, and we had several, leaning towards the unagi.  If someone had told me when I was 15 or 20 that “Hey, you will dig chowing down on eel in the future”, I’d be troubled. I was sheltered.  I should have at least been exposed to fried calamari as a mezza italiano, but I’m grateful for my introduction to olive oil at a young age.  It is the reason I’ve always loved salad.  By the way, our friends at Takara do not have a web site.

We came back to our beloved suburb last Friday.  We spent the night with Unc and Mashie and I did Saturday night there while the wife headed back up to the city for a birthday celebration.  I brought over some Amici’s pie for pi day.  We settled in and watched Yesterday.  I stayed up past 10pm, a rarity.

We got back into the house on Sunday and immediately ran into some excitement with the water heater.  It started to flash and make loud noises.  Apparently, it was trying to light the pilot and failing.  But what the hell do I know.  I went into clueless panic mode and shut down the gas to the entire house.  Then I consulted with Unc and turned off the water heater so I could cook dinner that night.  I also sent Unc some pics of the water heater.  I had it replaced the next day and asked Unc if he’d like some pics of my new water heater, but he was uninterested.

Sunday night we watched a little of the Democratic debate, but after hearing “national crisis” and “Ebola” about ten times, I tuned out.  It looks like Joe will be our guy.  Just get that moron Trump OUT.

The construction guys were here all day yesterday but other than that we have been on our own.  I’m sure our mid-April completion date will slide out, but we have a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen as well as our array of computers in the dining room so we are comfortable.  I’ll leave out my recent grocery shopping experiences as you have all been through the same. I’m grateful that I am not compromised, at least physically. Yesterday was skype with the kids day.  They are well but getting cabin fever like the rest of us.  Hang in people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home