DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, August 24, 2018

VMAs, Etc.

I forgot to tape the VMA Awards, so I missed lot. I understand that J Lo gave a hell of a performance on the night she won the coveted Video Vanguard award.  It was not all sweetness and light however, like the Nicki Minaj / Kylie Jenner contretemps and Madonna getting shit for cultural appropriation when she wore her North African garb.  I understand she celebrated her 60th birthday in Morocco.  The last time I was there I got a stomach bug.  The same thing happened when I watched Madonna’s Aretha Franklin tribute.  But I don’t want to focus on the negative.  Oh my, the outfits!  There were too many fantastic ones to comment on, but my favorite was this understated number.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-craziest-and-best-looks-from-the-vmas-red-carpet/16

Besides for being a pop culture maven, I do have a very interesting private life, of which I’ll share a few tidbits. The Binghamton triumvirate got together at The Wig’s Inverness compound last weekend.  I was supposed to pick up Dr. Joe and wife at SFO, but The Wig stepped in and took charge, since I had a critical work call.  Being a telecom magnate is not easy.

Friday night we had dinner in, featuring my brisket.  Everyone raved.  We did a lot of catching up as the three boys had not been all together for four years and the ladies even longer. We racked out at a reasonable hour.

Saturday, we headed to the beach.  The Wig and I stayed there while the other four took a rigorous hike.  I managed to trash Wig’s NYT crossword puzzle.  I fancy myself a wordsmith sometimes, but I was just making stuff up then.

We got back to the abode about mid-afternoon and waited for the younger generation to show up, along with Franklin the Dachshund, who is now my BFF.  We headed down to Saltwater Oyster Depot for dinner.  We got a prime spot outside.  They turned on the heaters and my wife renewed our discussion about getting one for our house.  I generally say if it is too chilly outside, go inside.  She disagrees.

OK, I’m not going to give you any more info on the weekend, but I do have a question for you. How the hell does Pandora put a Bon Jovi tune on my Jackson Browne channel?

Has anything much been going on with Trump this week?  I did see that Ainsley Earhardt really grilled him during an interview.  That woman is relentless. And I thought he only did softball interviews.

Lastly, if you are not my FB friend, you are missing all the fun.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home