DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Almost A Month

I need to be careful or people are going to refer to me as an ex-blogger.  I’ve been called worse.

What do you write when you got nothing to write?  The Kardashians are always doing something.  They were all dolled up for Kylie’s 21st birthday.  There was a nice pic of them giving the finger to the camera, mommy included.  Scary monsters all.  Fortune Magazine referred to Kylie as a “self-made billionaire”.  What horseshit!

I had a bit of scare recently.  There was some noise about mayonnaise being dead, killed by millennials.  Fortunately, it appears to have been a false alarm.  During my extensive research on this topic, I also discovered that there is a mayo ice cream.  Now they can kill that.

My active social life continues.  I’m having coffee with my bud The Exec tomorrow.  I have not been to the Starbucks by the PJCC, so I’ll be distracted from his dull conversation by the new surroundings.  And I am visiting The Wigs along with Dr. Joe and his bride this weekend.  More about that later.  And I just found out today that The Poughkeepsie Kid and wife will be staying with us come October.  Unc and Mashie will join us as well.  DJ and his distaff side are like the Bay Area restaurant scene.  You have to make a reservation a few months in advance.

I was pretty worn out from my Singapore vacation, so I took another vacation earlier this month.  We went to DC to buy our kids and their pals a couple meals and then take them up to the in-law’s NJ beach house.  Fun was had by all, but the place is now on the market, so it might be our last go round.  My nephew, their youngest, is heading off to UCLA in September. We plan to have him for some upcoming Thanksgivings.

I have to admit I’ve been suffering some lately.  No, not from travel constipation, although that is a thing.  As do most of my friends and family, I have Trump Derangement Syndrome. And Omarosa is not helping.  I did see that Fox and Friends said she outsmarted him.  Since Trump loves that show, I’m sure he went ballistic.  I’m awaiting the tweet.

I apologize if I gave celebrity news short shrift to discuss my quotidian existence.  There was another nugget I wanted to comment on.  I saw that Richard Gere is having another kid at 69.  I was thinking he could organize a play date with Billy Joel in about five years.  Just Gere and Joel and their kids, Gere and Joel’s nurses and the kids’ nannies. I think it is a little rude to send your kids off to college from your death bed.

As far as stupid trends are concerned, there was one about snorting condoms from a few months ago.  I would have brought it up sooner, but I am a lousy and infrequent blogger.  I guess they were trying to come up with something slightly less toxic than eating Tide pods.  It really is a tough choice between those two.  It suggests a question I asked on my 8/2/14 post.  "If you were up to you neck in puke and somebody threw a bucket of boogers at your head, would you duck?"

Though it may not be the best segue, let’s talk about my friend The Wig.  As I’ve mentioned, he is dwelling in Marin for the summer.  We have already been up to spend a night with The Wigs. There was also a fine dinner at Marlowe in SF with them and their offspring.  Friday our old Binghamton roomie Dr. Joe is flying in and we will take over their abode this weekend.  We all are on pins and needles for this reunion.  We were last together at Dr. Joe’s daughter’s wedding several years back. I plan to get a good post out of this.  I’ll be taking copious notes this weekend.

Our roomie moved out today, headed back to grad school in Indiana.  My wife and I can go back to yelling at each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home