DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Shortest Day

Although my readers know me well, there are still many things that may come as a surprise. One of them is that I'm all about that bass.

OK, we used to listen to shitty music too. Paper Lace's "The Night Chicago Died", for example.

The holidays are upon us and I'm working on my list of grievances. I'm also thinking of setting up a cookie exchange with my local readers.

We had a pre-holiday celebration in the big city with the #1s last night. We stayed at their Corona Heights pied–à–terre. Surprisingly, they didn't charge us. It was available since their tenant had recently moved on.

We had a fine meal at Canela. Check it out.


#1 chose a great Tempranillo. I like wine, I just can pick anything except Zinfandel. We had an array of tapas. The Tortilla Espanola, Serrano ham flatbread and gambas were the highlights, but all were good. The owner came by and chatted with us for a while. My wife mentioned my semester in Spain. The owner was likely in diapers when I was there.

After dinner we were off to ABV, a hipster bar. We were untroubled by the fact that we were thoroughly out of place. Their cocktails were good and Mrs. #1 took a picture of them. Let me know if you want a copy. #1 took a series of coasters that said "Thank you" from a few domestic and international locales. The one from Detroit said "F@#$ off"


This morning it was back to domestic bliss. I went grocery shopping and spotted a car sporting elves ears. These were fastened to the rear windows, as you've probably seen with Giants or Niners flags. The car passed me on Hillsdale and when I got a little further up I saw one of the ears in the roadway. Vincent van Gogh came to mind.

1 Comments:

  • At 1/05/2015 7:19 PM, Anonymous Mrs. Wig said…

    DJ, you have singled out one of my own favorite most hated songs of all time. thank you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home