DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Big E

Last night was a big one at the graduation party for The Hotelier's son. Their family mirrors ours, a description which they might not find flattering. We both have 20 year old college boys spending our money out of state and 17 year old girls spending our money right here in California. We each also have a younger son with Down Syndrome, which was the first bond between the wives. This celebration was for their younger son, Big E, who became a high school graduate this week. The majority of a very proud village was at the luau themed event to celebrate with the family, friends and dedicated teachers.

We met up with #1 and family in the parking lot and got our leis at the entrance to the party, which is quite fitting as we'll be flying to Hawaii together next weekend. As usual, I was at my wife's beck and call, ready to procure her a cocktail immediately. She wanted a martini and I was hoping they had Gilbey's in a plastic jug. Unfortunately only top shelf booze was available so her choices were Tanqueray Ten or Bombay Sapphire. I got a Grey Goose and we were off.

The appetizers were a fine array of salumi and fromage. You know, what we used to call cold cuts, just much more high end. Since the host is the GM of the hotel where the event was held, I figured I'd have the run of the place. After a couple pops we sat down to dinner. Unfortunately The Exec was back in Pittsburgh, so we could not enjoy his company, but we were seated at the same table as his wife, daughter and her boyfriend. The daughter's boyfriend, not the wife's. The boyfriend sat by #1, TCG and myself. On behalf of The Exec, we grilled him relentlessly.

Dinner was burgers and fries for the kids and me. The adults got salmon, roast beef, herbed wild rice and asparagus. Two thumbs up. After the meal dancing erupted. It took me a while to warm up but I eventually flew the freak flag. I had a romantic cheek to cheek with my wife and then the upbeat tunes came on. At one point, the aged back had a momentary lapse and I ended up on my butt. But I am a determined, albeit awkward, dancer, and I was back on my feet in no time, doing my best to Beyonce's Single Ladies. I had numerous opportunities to dance over to my daughter, to her unending mortification.

We also had a break for a Big E slide show. The pictures brought back memories for all. At one point I glanced over at his siblings, whose pride and love for their bro was written all over their faces. I've seen that look before. Priceless.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/03/2010 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear DJ,
    My daughter and I also shared in this great celebration for "Big E" and the Hotelier's family. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you but you are no doubt an awesome family--the Hotelier's family would associate with nothing less--other than their family! I didn't stay for Beyonce but I enjoyed the Polka! Congatulations again to all and ALOHA!

    Debbie T.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home