DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Your Special Day

I have a few mothers that are readers so I'd like to get ahead of the curve and wish you a Happy Mother's Day now. I am of the mind that a single day is not enough. It should at least be a weekend. There's only one thing that is keeping me from turning this entire weekend into an extravaganza for my wife. I fear the swift and fierce retribution of Hallmark.

I went for a quick swim during my lunch hour yesterday, not that lunch hours really exist anymore. Fortunately, there was one lane open. All the rest were occupied by humans, except one. A duck had decided to alight and was doing laps for about 10 minutes before taking off.

I was on my way home from a relatively uneventful trip to Safeway today. From afar I saw someone with what appeared to be a Superman costume over their shoulder. As I got closer I realized it was a graduation gown. The colors were spot on, a blue gown with a red sash. No graduations for us this year but one each in 2011 and 2012, hopefully. My bud The Wig is having two pretty soon. Congrats to both J and D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home