DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, December 28, 2008

'Tis The Season

We had a good Christmas and hope you did as well. My in-laws were up from Carlsbad and #1 and family came over to celebrate the day with us. I’ve drawn ever closer to #1 as my relationship with The Exec has deteriorated. We had a huge roast for dinner. I was tasked with carving. As I got to the middle of it, I thought I heard a muffled moo. I don’t expect to be going vegan anytime soon, but I’m not a major fan of the prime rib.

I think we all received what we wanted for Christmas. I got some clothes that I needed. Now I have jeans in four different colors. I’ll be a hit at work. If you wear a shirt with a collar at my office, you’re dressed up. I’ll be off for the next week as mandatory vacation kicks in. I’m OK with that, as long as 2009 does not bring any layoffs. I’m too old to look for a job. I also got a decanter cleaner. As I opened it, I thought to myself that such a device would come in very handy if I owned a decanter. Of course my next gift was a decanter, courtesy of my very generous brother-in-law and his charming wife. We used it right away to aerate the Thunderbird that #1 brought. My older son gave my daughter the complete set of Gilmore Girls DVDs. She was in heaven. She only had a couple seasons worth saved on the DVR

It’s good to have my sunny boy home from college. He’s been staying up until all hours of the night with #1’s kid and some of the other hoodlums from his high school days. He declined to attend his sister’s hoops game yesterday so we branded him “not a good family citizen”. I explained that he’ll be joining us for the next game. I know he’s looking forward to it. Regardless of this minor fracas, it’s good not to be the only one here that doesn’t sit down when they pee, however temporary.

After all the beef for Christmas, and Friday, and Saturday, I decided to put the family on a healthy regimen for the next week. I headed out to Safeway this morning before anybody but my younger son got up. He and I are the early birds. I set him up with an episode of the Wiggles, the space heater on medium, and a plate of tasty toaster waffles. I wanted to ensure that the others got to sleep in as late as they wanted. Maybe they’ll clean the damn kitchen once in a while if they get enough rest.

My shopping excursion was pretty mundane. I picked up goodies for a frittata, a Chicken Caesar and quesadillas. I’m sure I’m in for some complaints but let them whine. The rest of beef will go into a pot pie. OK. You’re not reading my blog for our weekly menu. As I heading out of Safeway, I saw The Exec’s wife. I shouted howdy before I went on my way. I decided that I didn’t want to let my feelings about The Exec color my relations with the rest of his family. Right before I pulled out of the parking lot, one of those new Smart cars pulled in. As I checked it out, ten clowns disembarked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home