DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, December 01, 2008

In Search of a Theme

Hi Folks

I’m home from my first day back at work after a week’s respite, relaxing with a fine glass of Sobon Estate Zin. I haven’t really had a coherent thought for quite a while but, luckily for you, I still get the itch to put something out here every once in a while.

Since I last wrote, we had The Banker and his lovely missus over for dinner. I made a chicken piccata. I sensed some concern about a chicken sushi redux, which proved to be unfounded. They brought a deluxe dessert from Copenhagen. By the way, if you’re looking for a good kaiser roll, Copenhagen is the place.

A week ago yesterday, I flew off to Vegas with The UK and 4M for our annual boy’s weekend warm up for turkey day. We sought sustenance at Lotus of Siam and Bouchon. I found my blackjack spot at El Cortez downtown. After not losing, 4M and I wandered east to take in the local color there. That evening The UK upgraded me to a ticket to Cirque du Soleil’s O, which was quite a spectacle.

Speaking of Bouchon, my buddy The Wig is enjoying a meal at Thomas Keller’s NYC hotspot, Per Se, as I write. There was some intermittent static on our call yesterday but I think he said he’d take me there the next time I’m on the other coast

Our Thanksgiving was spent with #1 and family. Their older son was home from DC and joined in on the fun. We had a conference call with my older son, who stayed back at my brother in laws. When I say conference call, I mean my wife put the phone on speaker and we all shouted stuff at him. I’ve been eating turkey ever since. Tonight’s menu includes turkey soup.

Ever hear that Killers song “Human”? I’d say probably since they’re playing the hell out of it. In any case, what is that all about? “Are we human or are we dancer?” I hope somebody has an explanation for me but shouldn’t it be “dancers”? And are they mutually exclusive? I think not. Maybe they’re The Killers because they’re butchering the language.

People Magazine is making noises about the sexiest vampire. I should go to work for them because I can come up with stupid shit like that. Apparently, Twilight’s Robert Pattinson is in the running along with fellow twits Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. Have these morons ever seen Bela Lugosi? Now that’s a vampire!

Since we are now into December, I have to start my highly anticipated Xmas letter. Part of the process is reading last year’s and making sure I don’t repeat myself too many times. Since I have some time off in late December, I also plan to start my masterwork. By masterwork, I mean something with more than three paragraphs.

Wolv, glad to see you’re still checking the blog. Sorry there haven’t been too many pictures for you to look at.

Hey JB, you wanna comment on any of this? I might even publish it.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/07/2008 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't need no steenkin' pichers, but I can live for a month on seein' my Michigan boys outgun those wannabes from Dukey University. I gotcher Coach K right here, pal. If I ever see Laettner on the street, he better watch out. The Wolv

     

Post a Comment

<< Home