DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, October 08, 2007

Flu Season

I see Safeway now has flu shots. I went to talk to the manager about possibly providing zombie shots. I explained that he has a built in market. He wasn’t very receptive so I went to pick up a few items for my mushroom and asparagus risotto. It has just a hint of saffron and my kids love it. But I passed on the shot. I get my flu shots at work. My employer also offers dry cleaning, oil changes, on-site dentistry etc. I guess they don't want us going anywhere. Crank up the productivity meter.

In that same vein, I've been avoiding getting the ubiquitous all in one device - phone, email, internet access, PDA - my Foster City chums always take on our camping trips. But the new one that has just been put on the market has caught my eye. It offers all that and more. One end has a retractable motorized brush to buff up your brogans. The other end has a Swiss Army knife, replete with plastic toothpick. I have to have it!

What I don’t have to have is a door to door meat salesman. I was busy this afternoon taking care of husbandly duties, i.e. cleaning the kitchen, when the doorbell rang. The gentleman at my portal informed me that he’d like to show me his chicken and steak. Huh? Is that some kind of code pal? I have to admit that I was a bit terse with him. I let him know, in no uncertain terms, that I had absolutely no interest in seeing his chicken and steak. What the hell is the world coming to? If he had tried to sell me a vacuum cleaner, I would have given him the bum’s rush, but it wouldn’t have caught me so off guard. I should have told him that I brave the zombies at Safeway on a weekly basis to get my meat.

Did anyone see Bruce on 60 Minutes last night? He’s still The Boss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home