DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, December 04, 2006

I Suffer Fools Gladly

My pager came through for me again today. As I was eating breakfast, the entertainment section informed me that Gwyneth Paltrow said that the Brits have more interesting dinner conversation than the Americans. She later released a statement the same way I always do, through People magazine. She was apparently misquoted. That’s what happens when you speak Spanish to the Portuguese. I’m not sure why everyone is jumping all over her. She’s probably right. The dinner chat at my house, as you can imagine, is quite lame. Meanwhile the Brits liven things up with comments like, “This meat is scrumptious. How long did you boil it?” and “Which fruit do you think makes the best baby name?”

Speaking of food, I’m a guy who likes his chow. Some may even think of me as a foodie, among other things. I like to watch a little Food TV now and again but I can only take so much. When I see Rachel Ray come on, I have to change the channel. I know they have whole web sites dedicated to bashing her. Those folks need to get a life, but she is annoying. And completely overexposed. She made the cover of People and Redbook this week and she actually has a talk show, which I’m proud to say I’ve never seen. I’m walking down the aisle at Safeway and I see her advertising Triscuits. I’ve never liked Triscuits and her mug on the box isn’t going to change things. Then you have Emeril Lagasse. I used to watch him in the old days. He was very interesting. Once he got in front of a live audience, he became Emeril the Gassy

Our next culinary adventure will be with The Exec and #1 and the wives. We’re going to a place in SF called Chapeau. My wife refers to it as Shampoo. I was the one that took a year of high school French, not her. We were going to go this past weekend but we put it off a couple weeks. We didn’t feel right about going so shortly after the Kid Rock/Pam Anderson break-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home