DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, November 17, 2006

Productivity Plus

I didn’t realize that W was one of my readers until the most recent comment on my last post. He must have taken time from his Asian trip to dip into the liberal end of the blogosphere, perhaps to come up some fresh ideas. One pundit last night stated that he joined the Texas National Guard to get out of Vietnam and now he’s going to Vietnam to get out of Washington. W also brought up my lack of productivity on his note. He should talk. I don’t think he has a grasp on the responsibilities I have. As a member of my company’s crackerjack IT team, I’ve been busily working on a suite of counter-productivity tools for the last couple weeks, so I’ve had little time to blog.

Work is OK but my real dream is start a real estate empire with Unc. I figure he’ll supply the seed money and the tradesman skills and I’ll be the idea guy. My plan is to get us on an episode of “Flip This House”. We're both pretty enough to be celebrity real estate investors so it should work out. It looks like Unc just made a crack about my D on the “Ypsilanti Insanity” post but at least he’s reading my blog. Now I know that he likes me, he really likes me!

I patched up some of the spats mentioned on my previous post and had dinner with the townies. We went to a little Mexican place in San Mateo. One of the guys may be new to you. He’s The Computer Guy. We’ll just call him TCG. TCG and #1 showed up on time and started swilling beer right away. We waited a while for the other guys but then said the hell with it and ordered dinner. The Banker showed up a bit later. He started pounding cervezas with the other guys. I had to keep my eye on these chuckleheads so I stuck to water. About an hour into dinner we get a call from The Exec. He was having a big day in the big city and couldn’t be there on time. He barked out his order from his cell phone and we sheepishly submitted it to the waiter. His food was ready when he walked in. We all enjoyed our meals except The Exec. His standards are just a little higher. Although he can be a bit haughty, The Exec is not without his own problems. The career is going like gangbusters but all is not well at home. His daughter is not talking to him since the Mercedes he bought her was used. But enough about him. After these characters finished their beers, we headed to the cinema to watch Borat. It was funny in spots but way over the top. DJ’s movie review: Save your $10.

The next night I met up again with #1, TCG and The Banker at our kid’s school’s fund raising auction. We were bored with each other at that point but the wives had a good time. My wife managed to bid on two separate SF hotel and dinner packages. That’s just what I need, two nights in the city for a cool grand. Fortunately we got outbid on one of them so I won’t have to hock her engagement ring. The food at the event was excellent, especially the sashimi appetizers. They weren’t skimping on the drinks either. The Banker put in a bid on the wide screen TV but didn’t go the distance. TCG bought one last year so Super Bowl Sunday is at his house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home