DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Turn Around Bright Eyes

After causing a near-tsunami in lane 2 during my hyper-competitive workout at the posh club this morning, I headed over to Men’s Wearhouse.  I was there to get measured for a tux for the girl’s wedding.  The guy told me I had short legs.  Is that any way to get return business? He ended up being pretty savvy, as he upsold me on a special cummerbund that can reduce my abdominal protuberance by up to 50%. He did caution me that my results may vary.

Boy, howdy, that was some eclipse the other day, no? I went outside at 11:15 am with the special glasses I got at the library. My neighbor was out there too so I lent her my glasses and then the mailman tried them out. The next one isn’t for twenty years, so I’ll probably be having beers with Beelzebub then.

I’m glad I didn’t put out any dough to get into the path of totality and a traffic jam for this non-event. One Mexican TV station had a little mix-up during their broadcast. And Heart did Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart with Jimmy Fallon.  I’ve always called that song Total Eclipse When I Fart. This is due to my lack of maturity.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/04/09/eclipse-flashing-live-tv-mexico-rcg-media/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIYINetsdc

I had dinner at an Indian restaurant in West Portal on Monday night with my old pal the Phoenix Flyboy. We ended up talking more about his kids and mine and other current events rather than going down memory lane. It has been over 35 years since we worked together, not far from where we were chowing down. Now that we are reacquainted, I expect we’ll get together more often than every 20 years. In his honor I picked up a few DAL calls.  They report today after the bell. 

I had lunch with the numbers last week.  I had mentioned that Ben Tre had closed down their San Mateo location, so we decided to visit their Millbrae restaurant.  They serve excellent Vietnamese cuisine.  About a minute after my vermicelli bowl arrived, #1 snatched a piece of grilled pork off the top. In an effort to keep his fingers out of my food, I ceded a piece of my Imperial roll as well. That seemed to do the trick.  Meals with these guys are always an adventure.

Today is National Erase Self-Negativity Day. I’d enjoy celebrating it more if I wasn’t such an asshole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home