DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

This is DJ...Now

I'm still as self-absorbed as ever.

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday and hopped in a Lincoln town car supplied by my brother-in-law to hang with them in their West Palm winter digs for a few days. Sunday we took a cruise in the rain to check out a few houses on the market before we drove by Mar-a-Lago. I tried to stop in on 45 but, as ex-presidents often do, he was off on a sneaker marketing tour. When he gets done with that, he'll go back to casting aspersions on anyone and everyone that does not bend the knee while he tries to find some suckers from whom he can extract half a billion in cash to pay for his crimes.

We had a luxe dinner that night at Cafe L'Europe. My brother-in-law picked up the tab so I was on the hook for a couple meals.  I was going to suggest Wendy's or Mickey D's, but they outsmarted me and made a couple reservations for Monday and Tuesday. We ate at Renato's, where we had a dinner several years ago when we stayed at The Breakers for my wife's 60th birthday. I perused the wine list that had several four figure entries and settled on a California cab that didn't break the bank. The chow was good. Last night was an 8:30 reservation at Palm Beach Grill that threw my bedtime completely out of whack. I think we had been here before as well. This is a top spot to see and be seen. I encountered a couple plastic surgeries that almost jolted my appetite, but a Tanqueray martini set me straight. Two thumbs up for all these joints.

We said goodbye to the in-laws this morning with an extended hug-a-thon and headed to FLL for a flight to St. Thomas. The wife and I are at the Green Iguana for one night before we sail over to St. John's for the USVI Wig Experience '24. We'll be joining not one, but two Wigs, and their better halves. In this case, better halves is not merely an idiomatic expression. If your lucky, I'll be inspired to drop a post from St. John.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home