DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sanctimonious, Severe and Strange

I told #1 early in the week that this was going be the title of my next post, so I imagine he’s thought “so where the hell is it DJ?” a couple times since. It comes from Mitt Romney’s description of Rick Santorum in his new bio. Mitt is not my favorite pol, but I certainly am a fan of alliteration. Mitt spent a lot of his earlier career sucking the life out of companies to make his dough. Nevertheless, if we could replace the current Republican caucus with Mitt clones, we’d likely be a lot better off.

I did a blazing 12 lengths in lane four this morning. There wasn’t a nice rainbow to look at like there was a week or so ago, but I had my own lane, so no complaints. As we approach the winter, the lightweights will be staying away, so more space for DJ.

I’ll be watching a little football today.  I’m in a five-way tie for 18th in my pool, so I need a breakout week.  I hit my Thursday pick so I’m off to a good start.  I originally had Atlanta over Tennessee, but I switched it at the last minute. Hopefully that one will not come back to bite me in the butt. Here’s this week’s picks.  You still have time to call your bookie for the afternoon games.

Buf Hou Dal Min Ind Mia NYJ Jax Ten Phi Sea Bal KC SF LAC Det

Trump’s attorneys are dropping like flies. I’m not too happy about the sweetheart deals Powell, Chesebro and Ellis got, but as long as they all sing in tune, I’ll take it. I’m sure they are just the first wave. But the fever has not broken.  We got MAGA Mike and his 18th century values for speaker now, which has led me to seeing the term Christo-Fascism bandied about. But I’ll leave the sad state of our politics behind after I comment on Mike Pence. He has just dropped his presidential bid, which came as a surprise to me after seeing this recent picture. You can feel the electricity in the room. A few wags on Twitter said that Pence should have been required to carry his campaign to term.


My wife is back in the bay after a trip to Hawaii with the FC women. Next week she’ll be heading to San Diego and then DC. I don’t want to see the inside of a plane for several months. While she was gone, #1 had the boys over for a fine chow down. Along with a caprese salad and garlic bread, he treated us to bucatini with a creamy mushroom/brandy sauce. The only thing that puzzled me was that I saw a can resembling this one in his recycling bin.


I also went over to micro-brewery Fieldworks in San Mateo while the wife was gone. Here is their description of one of the ones I bought.  This is not your father’s PBR.

“this beer with hop flavors consisting of tangerine juice, white grapefruit, passion fruit curd, lime zest, bergamot peel, white wine grapes, gooseberry preserves, and a distinctive hint of fresh Sour Tangie and NYC Diesel buds.”

I'll close this out with a quote from the end of Esquire’s Charles Pierce’s last post of the week. We often see eye to eye.

"And spare a moment for the people of Israel and Gaza, the people of Ukraine, of Lewiston, Maine, and of the earthquake zones in Iraq, Turkey, and Morocco, and in the flood zone in Libya, and especially for our fellow citizens in the LGBTQ+ community, who deserve so much better from their country than they're getting."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home