DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

55 Degrees

That’s what the thermostat said when I woke up this morning.  It was about 37 outside.  These 1960’s tract homes don’t have much in the way of insulation.  I had some put into my attic several years back, but for all I know they could have blown shredded newspaper up there.  I’m not what you call a savvy consumer. 

I’m looking forward to another lively session of the boy’s video call tonight.  It’ll give me an opportunity to yell at the Belgian. I’m not sure if #1 is back from his HI trip yet, but we all cling to the hope that he’ll be joining us.

The wife and I went to a ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates and Producers) event Saturday at One Market in the city.  It was a blast.  There was a boatload of wineries represented, arranged in alphabetical order.  We started out at the Rombauer table, which spoiled us a little. I should have taken notes, but I’m sure we tried at least a dozen.  We chatted up a few of the producers.  They also had some good appetizers from the city college culinary program and a few cheese producers. I saw a woman of late middle age with purple hair and a “ZinBitch” t-shirt on.  One dude either passed out or fell and whacked his head so the EMTs came to get him.

After the event we trotted over to Coqueta on the Embarcadero.  This is Michael Chiarello’s entry in the tapas scene. We had the patatas bravas, croquetas de pollo, and bocadillo de calamari.  All were excellent.  By the way, I saw Michael Chiarello on a plane several years ago.  I’m still miffed he didn’t say hello.

Since we are on the topic of food, did you know that you can get whale meat via vending machine in Japan?  That has to be some good eatin’.

https://apnews.com/article/japan-yokohama-tokyo-business-whales-54c5606b6cc729191afe850aadbd4487

And over in Australia, they made an oopsy and lost some radioactive material.  I can see the mining company spokesman at a news conference, with his head bowed and lower lip protruding, saying “We’re berry, berry sorry”

https://apnews.com/article/science-oddities-australia-government-perth-western-d44bde9c94e68ff4e22820474b67e832

MAGA insiders want Trump to croak.  That’s not very nice, is it?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mckay-coppins-trump-wish_n_63d8c311e4b01a43638ffbac

I’ve moved up to #4 in the playoff pool and if Philly – birthplace of DJ – takes it, worst case scenario is I end up in second place, which is worth $300.  This is me after the Eagles take it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home