DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Post 444

That's what blogspot tells me

In yesterday's blog I made a reference to an earthquake vibrating a neighborhood. Last night there was a big one in Napa. My wife felt it but I slept through it.

Yesterday I drove #1 and family to SFO and got a boatload of tasty tomatoes from his garden. I brought some over to The Exec and also gave a few to my stylist. My old man had a barber. I have a stylist. I'm also a foodie and drive a Volvo. If writing about the Kardashian's doesn't send me to hell, those facts will.

The wife and I tried a new San Mateo joint called Block 34 last night. We think it is a winner. They also have a pretty good happy hour so I'll need to round up the village boys for a little get together.

Does anyone else think this is what Lorde will look like on stage in 25 years?


Did you hear the one about Donald Rumsfeld's Wikipedia page? Somebody edited it to say he was an “alien lizard who eats Mexican babies”. Apparently some wiseacre Congressional staffers are responsible for that one, as Wikipedia blocked them. Kudos to the staffers.

Last weekend I was in Emerald Isle, NC for Dr. Joe's daughter's wedding. SB1 flew down from DC to be my guest. A good time was had by all. The ever gracious Wigs put us up in their beach house they had rented for the week. The wedding itself took place on the beach. It was a brief but touching ceremony in which the couple recited their own vows. We then trekked back to the house for the reception. The featured beverages were from Middle Ages Brewing Company in Syracuse, the provenance of Dr. Joe and family. Crab cakes, risotto with scallops and a taco bar made for a well fed crowd.

After a few of those Syracuse Pale Ales, I was able to join the dance floor. I was unfamiliar with Iggy Azalea but they threw in enough tunes from my youth to allow me to move this decrepit body around a bit. I started a conga line at one point, during a song that has probably never initiated a conga line before.

We spent most of the next day on the beach, in the water, or on the deck. The waves were mild, as was the water temperature. That night The Wigs treated our party of 18 to dinner at Amos Mosquito's. SB1 escaped the kid's table to sup with the 50 somethings.

Sunday it was back to RDU and to reality for the boy and me. We enjoyed our time together and with my good old college buds and their families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home