DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Miscellanea

Here was my Facebook status from Saturday morning.

“I'm done arguing with my wife so its time to head to Safeway for vittles and blog material.”

I guess its a good thing that the wife doesn't read my blog and isn't on FB.

I did get a little blog material at Safeway. I ran into TCG. I told him the store wasn't big enough for the both of us. He understood, and left the premises. As I was checking out, the woman in front of me was engrossed in her iPhone so the checker had to ask her to start putting her stuff on the belt. She started chucking it on there and then grabbed the receipt out of the checker's hand. At least that's what the checker told me. I was engrossed in the latest copy of Cosmopolitan.

Dick Cheney is yapping again, but there's been a lot of good responses from the media, pointing out that his administration dithered quite a bit. How about three rounds, Biden vs. Cheney, with the Everlast mittens. I'll buy that pay per view package. Dick talks a good game, but his five deferments speak louder.

I got a call from my chum The Wig a few weeks ago. He's good about keeping in touch but the last time he called he talked to my wife for about half an hour and he was all talked out when he got around to me. He did relate that his parents were clearing out their basement and brought a load of stuff to his house. Most of it was junk but he was perspicacious enough to realize there was a treasure amid the ruins. Apparently there was a college era photo of me, which is precious enough, but the real find was a couple letters I sent him from Madrid in the fall of 1980. This may very well be some of the earliest DJ's Detritus extant.

Work is peachy. I have a new boss that I've never met and rarely talk to. That's my kind of boss. You may recall one of my earlier work related posts about the pregnant woman in the cafeteria that picked up several bagels and sniffed them individually. I've now encountered another interesting character, that I've named "The Picker". She and her gabby pal hit the caf at the same time I do every morning. She gets herself a mess of something, which I think is topped by sunflower seeds, and grazes on it whilst her bud prepares her meal. The sight does not do much for my appetite but I'm more concerned about the cafeteria's bottom line. This behavior may very well be clipping them to the tune of 3 to 4 cents daily.

The best part about being a hedge fund manager is being able to hire Kenny Rogers to sing The Gambler a dozen times in a row at your party. The worst part is doing the perp walk.

My college boy never communicates with me, but he does read my blog. Hello Sonny.

I'm heading out to Oaktown tonight to break bread with my siblings. I guess its time to update my FB status.

RIP Captain Lou and Soupy Sales

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home