DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Food and Drink

I had dinner last weekend with my bud The UK and our spouses at his hideaway in Los Altos Hills. He served up some fine Grey Goose martinis for the boys and gin and tonics, with a designer tonic I had never heard of, for the ladies. Dinner was perfectly grilled steaks and several tasty accompaniments. The UK stated that my blogs were all about eating and drinking. This post will not disabuse anyone of that notion.

Last night, a blustery one in my cozy bedroom community, we headed to the abode of The Belgians for a village gala. I always look forward to these events. There's hugs all around, the conversation is easy, and yes, the grub is always great. The Belgian provided the two main courses, steak and salmon, and the rest of us brought the appetizers, sides, and desserts. I brought a Ridge Zin, which impressed my oenophile host. I especially enjoyed the three types of guacamole before dinner.

A rose between two thorns, I was seated between #1 and The Exec. The Exec held forth on many topics. #1 made sure to send out sardonic tweet in response as we grazed. Its a good thing that none the daddies in this mother's club are too sensitive, because they'd never survive the constant volley of barbs.

To end the meal, The Belgian brought out several digestifs, among them port, calvados, and a French version of limoncello. He's the baby of the group, a mere 46, but he knows how to entertain. If somebody wanted similar treatment at my homestead, they'd be lucky to get a shot of tequila.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home