DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, January 15, 2007

Cats and Dogs


I like to keep my readers apprised of advances in veterinary medicine. The Chron had an interesting article about a breakthrough pooch weight loss medication, Slentrol, that the FDA has approved. I’m excited about this on two fronts. In addition to seeing our tax dollars well spent, this will allow us to extend the life of fat Fidos throughout the land.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/06/MNGOMNE4RE1.DTL&hw=FDA+OKs+drug&sn=002&sc=367

One of the surprising conclusions drawn in the article was that dog obesity was blamed on “the same factors that cause people to get fat: too much food and not enough exercise.” The owners of these pups need to emulate the couples I see here in my lovely suburban community. They take romantic strolls along the bayshore, plastic bags of canine fecal matter in hand.

In a related story, Hercules, a 20 pound Seattle cat, was found after he got stuck in a doggie door in Portland. He had been missing for six month but has now been reunited with his owner. I’m curious about a couple things. How did he make it to Portland carrying that load and how did he maintain his Rubenesque figure the whole time? Regardless, it’s time to slip some Slentrol into his Friskies.

I’d like to see the pharmaceutical companies expand their research into other areas of pet health. My porcupine Sparky is in pretty good shape. He’s quite svelte but his coat does have a couple bad patches. Any company that introduces Porcupine Rogaine will have my business and Sparky’s gratitude.

Turning the page to human health, AOL recently informed me that there is a new name for what we used to call sloth. It’s Sedentary Death Syndrome (SeDS). I’m not personally worried about that one but I’m not feeling great today. I’m a little cranky because my acid reflux and Restless Leg Syndrome are both kicking in this morning.

4 Comments:

  • At 1/16/2007 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/01/06/mn_fatdogs_c_07aug01.jpg

    Here's the link to the FAT DOG, Dad.

     
  • At 1/19/2007 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And I thought all of the fat cats were here in Washington.

    Seriously, I think that The Dickster would blow the begeezus out of that thing.

    W

     
  • At 1/22/2007 9:41 AM, Blogger Vance said…

    Dear DJ,

    I found out yesterday that my fat pants are now my regular pants, and I have to buy new fat pants and give all of my "old regular" pants to the Salivation Army. Do you think I'm on the slippery slope? Is SeDS my future? What can I do? What drug can I take?

    (Please don't tell me something stupid like "exercise more" or "get a personal trainer" or "stop all the boozin'". I don't want to.)

     
  • At 11/11/2008 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home