DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Happy Festivus

Now for the airing of the grievances:

I’ll start with 4M and The Wolverine. Back in January…. Strike that. I don’t have all day.

Remember when the SF Examiner used to be a real newspaper? I’d invest 50 cents of my hard earned money daily for the ride home on the Samtrans express bus. Now I get free home delivery and it goes straight into the recycling bin. Since it’s the holiday, I get the obligatory Happy Holidays card from my carrier. I sent the Chronicle guy a Jackson. This ensures he wraps it in plastic on rainy days. I’m thinking of sending one to the Examiner carrier as well, with the caveat that he doesn’t chuck another one in my driveway until next year this time

Ever look at Cosmo magazine? I’m subjected to it in the Safeway checkout lane. What a piece of junk! The latest one trumpets “Sex Uncensored”. I need to write the editors and tell them the cat is out of the bag. There haven’t been any new discoveries in this arena since prior to the 11th century.

Maybe I need to stop reading the little bit that I do. They’re trashing the language left and right. Corporations aren’t helping any. They have more jargon than anybody. Sometimes I can’t tell if they’re speaking in code or speaking in tongues. One of my favorite phrases is “thought leadership”. This apparently causes “people-driven actions”. What? What comes to my mind when I hear this? Zombies and mind control! In the same vein, I’m getting really tired of the phrase “x is the new y”, as in “green is the new black”, “funny is the new sexy”, “eating out is the new eating in” and so on. Where do they come up with this crap? Here’s my addition to the genre: “Horseshit is the new factuality”

Who wants to wrestle?

2 Comments:

  • At 12/23/2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blasphemy is the new gospel. I'll wrestle your butt, loser tries to catch Brittney on the rebound. P'nis

     
  • At 12/24/2006 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Didn't know where you were going with that "x is the new y" thing....thought you were going to say "Iraq is the new Vietnam". If you had, you would have lost me as a reader. Well, not so much a reader as a listener. See, I have your blog read to me every day. I like books, but I don't like to read. That's why my library is going to be full of books on tape.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home