DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Old School

I've been in touch with some old high school folks for the last year or so, since there was a 30th reunion a while back. Yeah, I'm dating myself. Nobody else will. It's been interesting but I'm not sure everybody's buying what I'm selling. Most of them think I'm kidding when I refer to my two marriages to J Lo, my rehab stints, and the fact that I missed the reunion because of my undercover work. I was a bit of a milquetoast in high school so they don't know the latter day DJ. By the way, it turns out rehab didn't do me much good but I did beat my dependencies via the potent combination of the Hugs Not Drugs and Just Say No programs.

Now that I'm off the sauce - I was addicted to Tabasco - things have become much clearer. I can sail down the condiment aisle at Safeway without a care. But I have other fears, like some of the people I encounter there, the grocery store zombies. These disheveled individuals block the aisles, oblivious to my desire to get to the hair care products or canned lima beans, mumbling to themselves as they read ingredients on packages. Once one of them was ranting about a "yuppie slime in a Volvo". I ran out of the store, hopped in my Volvo and raced home. I’m thinking of getting rid of that car. I'd like to get a new Prius. I can use it to drive to where I park my SUV. The Hummer won't fit in my driveway.

I've apparently gotten off topic. Keep in mind that it is my blog and I can ramble on about anything I like. Nobody reads this crap anyway. OK, back to school. There's a few classmates out here in the Golden State. We all grew up in the cradle of civilization, upstate New York. We're trying to start a new tradition of the west coast reunion. We did Vegas last year and are looking to repeat this year. TK couldn't join us due to something about having to work but we expect him to be there for the '06 trip. Last year it was me, 4M, and the Upgrade King. The Upgrade King is one of Silicon Valley's Masters of the Universe. So when we got to Vegas he got upgraded immediately upon identifying himself. But he didn't lord it over us. He even let us use the Jacuzzi and game room in his suite when he was invited to a meet and greet with Paris and Nikki Hilton at the Ghost Bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home