DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm Back

I was away for a while covering the Tomkitten birth but I'm back here where I belong now. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the overall coverage. Only a few media outlets, including my favorite, AOL, handled it with the grace that such an event deserves. I had a little extra time on my hands while sitting outside the Cruise mansion in my van last week. I veered into political commentary, however briefly and superficially, but you won't be seeing much more of that. I'm trying to hang onto the three Republican friends I have.

One of my non-Republican friends recently wrote a lovely story about our stay in Italy a few summers back. He was even kind enough to post one of my stories on his web site last year. So I deliberated long and hard about returning the favor. In the end I decided that, in the words of W's dad, "it would not be prudent at this juncture." But I will give a brief overview. We spent a lovely evening in small Tuscan town, the name of which translates roughly to "Bad Ass" in English. But there were really no tough guys there. They were just a bit brusque. This town was known for a couple things. Most of the townspeople made a living designing and producing artisanal bowties. The second thing was their cuisine. You could get excellent versions of many regional specialties but they were best known for an Italian version of fish and chips. We were skeptical at first but were quickly converted. One of the slight variations is that they serve 18 year old balsamic vinegar with them as opposed to that malt stuff.

OK, on to what you've been waiting for: DJ's celebrity report. Since I'm a celebrity myself now, I'm thinking of publishing a magazine. It'll provide a boatload of self help and lifestyle articles and each issue will have a picture of me on the cover. I think I'll call it DJ. But enough about me. There’s been a lot going on this week, even without famous births. The George Michael/Elton John feud is back on and apparently one is brewing between Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Simpson. I’ve been losing sleep over that. I hate it when my favorite stars can’t make the effort to get along. It was also recently announced that John Travolta and J Lo will be making a movie based on the “Dallas” TV series. I can’t wait! What the heck will the Hollywood brain trust come up with next? A movie based on “Car 54, Where Are You?” Oh, wait, they already did that. My last item is a TV event. There will be a séance that claims to reach Ringo Starr. Ringo reportedly says, "I'm not dead yet!”

Well, it’s off to Namibia soon. I’ll be in touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home