DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, March 26, 2006

I Had No Idea

I didn't know this blog would change my life. The celebrity life is not all it's cracked up to be. I recently had to explain to a good friend that I have been corresponding with for 30 years that I'd have to put an end to our epistolary relationship in order to focus on my blog. We began writing letters to each in the mid 70s and I've been carrying them around, like the treasure that they are, in two shoeboxes all these years. She was angry when I told her but then it came out that she had used my letters, along with her grandmother's antique end table, as kindling on particularly cold night back in '87. So I'm not feeling so bad. I encouraged her to read my blog and post comments and it would be almost like the old days.

I have to say there are some benefits to being a superstar blogger. I was going to get together with the boys for some NCAA basketball and out of the blue one of the guys invites us to his house to watch it on his massive wide screen TV. We've done small things like have family Thanksgiving dinners together but the guy never let me use his wide screen before. I'm hoping my old friends will still like me for myself.

Speaking of the NCAAs, my bracket has been busted wide open. My final game pick of Memphis over UConn may not have been the wisest choice. I blame it on my educational background. My university's bracketology program was in it's infancy back in my school days. I'm considering continuing education.

Apparently I'm not famous in all circles however. I recently had an internal job interview with a member of our management team in the UK. I called promptly at the designated time, introduced myself, and started off with some small talk. About 15 seconds into it he says "I don't know who you are". Fancy that. So we cleared things up and re-scheduled our meeting. I then went running around my house repeatedly saying "I don't know who you are" in my best British accent. The kids got a kick out of it. My wife was not amused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home