DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Blogging Is Hard

Just ask my pal The Exec.  He has a new one out, so I have to change the link on my blog that goes to his site, once I figure out how to do that.  I’ve enjoyed his recent output.  He’s a long-time professional writer and his posts are almost as good as mine.

We had a Tahoe excursion the first weekend of this month. We rented a GMC tank with the kids and their partners and headed up for the wedding of TCG’s SB1. We encountered some rain, snow and fog on our way up, but my SB1 is a very good driver and got us to our rustic rental, within walking distance of the venue, safely. 

The first event was at TCG and Katie’s house.  We arrived to see red hearts with the couple’s names inscribed in the huge snowbanks. There was a Greek themed dinner available and The Prisoner wine, a personal favorite, freely flowing. They had the heaters cranked on the deck as TCG’s SB2 was working the grill. We all ate our fill, and I stuffed some spanakopita in my pocket on the way out.

Friday was Cinco de Mayo, so there was a Mexican buffet served at a local Tahoe City restaurant. A lot of the FC crowd was just arriving that day, so we had a chance to chat with them as well as meet some new folks.

Saturday was the big day, so we kept a close eye on the weather. The snow was coming down pretty good, and it continued to do so as the ceremony began. A lot of folks had their overcoats on and umbrellas out.  I stupidly left my coat inside, but went to get it about 10 minutes in.  Regardless of the weather, it was a beautiful ceremony, and the young couple handled the weather glitch with aplomb.  Here’s a pic of my crew showing off their footwear. This shot was taken shortly after we tried to pray away the snow.


https://news.yahoo.com/desantis-suggests-personally-prayed-hurricane-231433372.html

The reception was great fun. There were signature cocktails, an old fashioned and something akin to a margarita.  If I was any kind of real writer, I’d get the name of that drink before going to print. We were seated at long tables for dinner and the buffet line, packed with scrumptious vittles, moved along quickly. After dinner, they decided to move the dancing indoors as the outdoor space was quite slippery.  I saw TCG’s SB2’s girlfriend and the hem of her gown had soaked up quite a bit of water.  She sagely said, “I’m a mop”.

I understand the fun continued until midnight, but I headed out about 10 for the trek home, practicing being big in case there were any bears around.  I didn’t encounter any, but I saw a dude walking his dog. We exchanged pleasantries and then I was soon off to dreamland.

CONGRATS TO A AND J!!!

Last week we had the final birthday celebration for my wife. The TCGs, Hoteliers, and Unc and Mashie came over. We had a nice evening so were able to take advantage of the pergola.  On a side note, we had not seen the Hoteliers for a while. Then we also saw them Saturday for their granddaughter's birthday. Now we’re seeing them again tomorrow. Hoteliermania is too much fun.  

The dinner went well, with everyone contributing a dish.  Since her multiple birthday parties had come to an end, the wife had Mother’s Day to look forward to.  I acquitted myself well with a cute Hallmark card – a real one – as well as an avocado toast brunch and fish dinner.  I’m exhausted.

Nick Cannon did not have as good a Mother’s Day.  He apparently got his cards mixed up. He needs a good assistant.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nick-cannons-mothers-day-cards-to-his-baby-mamas-didnt-go-as-planned?ref=home

Rep. James Comer (idiot-KY) is playing a game of Where’s Waldo. He apparently lost his informant.  I hate it when that happens.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a43891991/james-comer-whistleblower-missing-bartiromo/

For the final celeb item, I would like to state as assiduously as possible that I did not need to know this.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jane-fonda-says-she-went-165237409.html

Happy Dictionary Week to all who celebrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home