DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Live from the Foster City Library

I just wrapped up a vigorous swim and have planted myself in the FC library.  Our wonderful cleaning lady is at our house doing her magic and I wanted to keep out of her way.  Her oldest will be heading to college in upstate NY soon and we are so glad for her whole family at this achievement.

I hit the double 6 yesterday.  My phone and Facebook blew up, because people love me.  SB1 and I headed to the big city to meet my bro at John’s Grill.  We watched The Maltese Falcon on Sunday night to get prepped.  We espied a picture of Hammett and a replica of the falcon above the bar on our way out.  I am now twice SB1’s age.  In other words, old.  During lunch we regaled SB1 with our youthful exploits, like shooting squirt guns at our old man’s nether regions while we were showering with him, as well as the Jeannette Long March, which I had detailed in a previous post.  My wife made dinner with some fancy pants NYT recipes and it was quite a tasty treat.  #1 and Barbie, newly resettled in FC, joined us for that one.

I wrote those paragraphs above yesterday.  The intellectual effort took it out of me, but I am now back at it. I am just back from the pool again. The natation gods smiled upon me, leaving several lanes from which to choose.  It was full up as I left.  A quick steam and shower and I’m back at the mansion on Gull.

My better half’s birthday was yesterday and one of the many celebrations for it took place last night at Saltyard in Burlingame.  I had not been there before, but the food was very good.  Our next celebratory dinner will be Thursday night in Tahoe.  The girl’s betrothed has her birthday then, so we celebrate hers and my wife’s.  SB1 is putting together that dinner today and I’m doing the roast my trainer gave me for tonight’s dinner.  I’m not sure if the kitchen is big enough for both of us. My wife’s last birthday dinner is on the 12th. I think it’s the last birthday dinner anyway.

I saw Nordstrom in downtown SF is shutting down.  We were just in the Westfield Mall grabbing a coffee after our John’s lunch.  That closure does not bode well for the downtown retail scene. I remember the days when that space was occupied by The Emporium. The SF Nordstrom Rack is also closing.  Here’s to hoping my favorite city can bounce back from its current troubles.

I saw this headline in the Daily Beast recently.


Her last words were “Stay away from the frog mucus”.

Did you see the outfits at the Met Gala?  That was some seriously ridiculous shit. I think Rihanna, Jared Leto, Doja Cat and Lil Nas X took the cake, but there may have been even weirder stuff I missed.  There was a whole passel of Kardashians as usual, even Kim’s kid North.  Did you take her out of school for that, you chucklehead?

RIP Gordon Lightfoot



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home