DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, December 30, 2016

Mexico 2016

My wife, daughter and I flew off to Guadalajara on December 16 for the wedding of The Hotelier’s son.  Things did not start out great at SFO due to heavy rains.  We were not able to make our connecting flight in Phoenix and we got separated.  I got a first-class seat on a Phoenix/Guadalajara flight while the ladies had to go to Phoenix/Dallas/Guadalajara.  It’s funny how these things work out.
I ran into the groom and family in the hotel lobby and it was hugs all around.  Our village is one of the most prolific groups of huggers extant, as I’ve mentioned before.  Sonny Boy 1 was there as well, fresh off his early morning flight out of BWI.  He made sure to tell me to switch his room from his credit card to mine.  I let him think I did so but he is in for a big surprise on his next statement.  I used my flawless Spanish while checking in until the young lady behind the desk decided it would all be easier if she spoke English.
The wife and daughter got in a few hours after me and we all hit the hay for the big event the next day.  We met up with the crew at breakfast, which was included in the bill.  It was quite an impressive spread.  SB1 got his fill, which is a task, but they discouraged his request for a to go container.
We were transported via a very comfortable air conditioned bus to the church, which was having several weddings that day. It was a little smaller than most churches I’ve been in, which lent more intimacy to the event.  The bride was beautiful and my wife snapped a great picture of the groom being led up to the altar by his parents.  They were locked arm in arm but I suppressed the thought that he was being dragged up there.
The groom’s family had English speaking parts but the rest of the ceremony was in Spanish.  I was able to pick out a lot of words, catching “amor” several times, as is fitting.  Afterward we traveled about 45 minutes out of town to a gorgeous setting in the foothills, with an expanse of lawn and scenic pond.  They were handing out a daquiri type drink but when we suspected there was no booze in it, we switched over to beer.  They paced the serving of alcohol, which was a very wise decision since we had many hours ahead of us.
The meal served on the veranda was delectable and there was big display of desserts, which the four-year-old son of the wedding planner was constantly raiding.  He was still running around when I left about 10pm.
After dinner is when things really came alive.  The DJ was cranking it up, almost everyone except me was dancing, and the tequila began to flow, including shots from a bandolier.  It was during this time that I was stunned by a comment from one of the guests, so stunned that I feel compelled to give him a blog name.
He is the brother-in-law of the Hotelier and his wife.  I had met him only once previously, on a New Year’s Eve, shortly after he and his significant other had migrated to the Bay Area from Chicago.  We had briefly discussed my blog and I gave him the link at that time.  At the reception, he said something to the effect of “I have not read your blog recently but I enjoyed it”.  I fell over and they gave me a bandolier shot to help me recover. This couple joined us later in Puerto Vallarta for a few days and we really enjoyed their company.  So, until I come up with a better name, or they stop reading my blog, I’m going to call them the G and L Fun Club.
The next day we were treated to a tour of an artisanal community called Tlaquepaque.  It pained me to hear the gringos massacre the name, but I handled it.  I bought a belt and a straw hat and the wife got some cool pottery, which survived the trip home.  We had lunch at El Abajeño, about forty of us at two long tables.  When they brought out bowls with liquid and fruit floating in it, we weren’t sure if this was to clean our hands, but when they passed around the tequila to pour into it, we were glad we had decided to refrain from washing up.  The food was outstanding, several different grilled meats, refritos and super fresh tortillas.

After the Guadalajara segment of the program, it was off to Puerto Vallarta with the families of #1 and the Hotelier.  It was a quick 26-minute flight, after which the group was accosted by the taxi people. #1 and I made the mistake of talking with different purveyors.  When mine won out, he said he’d get a vehicle for all 14 of us.  A radio conversation ensued.  I could not understand the dispatcher, but could tell from her tone that a 14-passenger vehicle was not in the cards.  We got two vans at an established price.  The one I was in had a cranky driver that did not like that established price, but he was outnumbered.  When I tipped him, he was unhappy with the amount.  Since I’m a softie, I doubled it to send him on his dyspeptic way.
We got settled in quickly, with the Hotelier crew in one condo and the rest of us in another. We did some shopping and established “the book”, in which #1 kept a tab of shared expenses that would allow us to square things at the end of the trip. #1 comes from a long line of accountants and expertly kept the “book of 2” and “book of 3”, the former just for our condo.  I’d like to tell the Hotelier right here and now that a check for $100 is in the mail to him.  I hope he buys that.
Our first dinner was at Gaby’s in the downtown area. We dined al fresco, with the Cadillac margaritas flowing freely.  This was not your crappola margarita comprised of slush and a half shot of tequila.  These were the real deal, and the food was good to boot. If my blog notes are correct, which is a big if, we paid $450 for 16 people, which included two drinks for most.  The dollar goes far down there.
Other events included a PV tour with Juan Manuel and a cooking class with Rosie.  Rosie took us through the markets and then off to her house to make chips, salsas, tamales and chicken mole.  We all loved it and chowed down heartily.  We highly recommend it.
We ate out most nights, but generally had a cocktail hour at home.  We had a big margarita night with me in charge.  My recipe is what you would call fuerte.  These were made with Controy vs. Cointreau but that did not make much of a difference.  We were joined by the G and L Fun Club that night as well as our Gaby’s dinner before they had to head back to the states.
The six remaining superannuated adults had a fine meal at La Leche on a subsequent evening.  We threw the kids a few pesos and told them to fend for themselves.  La Leche was a major treat, a foodie worthy joint just a few blocks from our condos.  The wait staff and food were fabulous and we had a chance to meet the chef.
The crew enjoyed a Christmas brunch and dinner at our place.  My wife and daughter did a bang up job on the brunch and #1 knocked out dinner with a minor assist from me. We let the kids do clean up.  There was no tree but several handmade paper ornaments a couple piñatas, which remained intact.  Hopefully the cleaning ladies can pass them off to their kids.

Our last meal was at Joe Jack’s Fish Shack.  Since we are knuckleheads, we went down there with 14 people without a reservation, but they accommodated us all.  We had one main table with a couple satellites for the young lovers. SB1 got a few recommendations for primo tequila, along with a couple samples, from our waiter.  The boy later got four different bottles for a buddy.  He managed to get back to DC with all unscathed. This meal was quite good as well.  The wife and I had been there during our 2012 trip so that is what we were expecting.


All good things must end so we headed to the aeropuerto Tuesday.  The trip home was much smoother than the journey there.  Now it is back to work for many of us, but we’ll tuck this one in the memory bank as one of our best adventures.

Feliz Año Nuevo


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home