DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, April 11, 2010

DC Days

I got a week off work recently. I'd like to make a habit of that. I headed to DC on April 2. It is a date that will remain vivid forever, as it was on that day 20 years ago that UNLV beat Duke for the NCAA basketball championship. I even remember where I was, which was St. Mary's Hospital in SF, because my first son was also born that day.

We took SB1 and his posse out for provender after I arrived. It was an absolutely gorgeous day in DC, which ended up being to our detriment, since everyone and their brother was out and about, and apparently hungry. We had tried to get a couple reservations but the type of joint we wanted to go to didn't take them. I'm not buying a pack of ravenous students haute cuisine. After about 2-3 miles walking, my outer limit, we were able to seat nine at Old Glory, with good pub grub and IPA on tap. I had actually had a meal there on the trip to drop the boy off for his first semester. My bud Wig was with us that time. After this meal I gave the kid a $20 to buy his boys some ice cream. He apparently stiffed them and kept the dough.

We were staying at my wife's brother's house in Potomac. Thing were a little more sedate than the time we stayed there during the aforementioned inaugural drop off - see 9/2/08 post - as it was owner occupied. We had a great Easter dinner as well as a trip to the Baltimore suburbs for an outstanding Easter brunch at my sister-in-law's brother's house. Are you following all this in-law stuff? We did treat the in-laws to a sumptuous meal at Jaleo, a block from the Verizon Center in DC. This dinner in no way came close to making up for the disruption my family's stay at their abode invoked.

http://jaleo.com/downtown.htm

We met up with #1 and family on Monday for a Capitol tour. His son is a Congressional intern so we didn't have to wait in as many lines as the throngs of people there with kids on Easter break. Congress was not in session so I didn't see any famous faces, except for the many statues I encountered. I had not accessed my work email in the interim, so #1 informed me that The Exec bit on my 4/1 post, which made my day. We wrapped the afternoon up at a Mexican restaurant nearby. Passable, but Mexican is much better on the west coast. Many thanks to #1's SB1.

The next few days consisted of more quality time with my SB1, like buying him a suit and lots of chow. We also visited the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA with the daughter. She'll be heading out in little more than a year. How the hell did I get so old so fast?

On our flight back home I noticed Markos Moulitsas of Daily Kos sitting in first class. Since he's a lefty, shouldn't he be in cattle class with the rest of the masses? We nodded to each and briefly acknowledged that we don't read others blogs. I then took my 2nd class seat. Now I'm stuck inside of Foster City with the DC blues again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home