DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Dalí

I'm not a restaurant reviewer, but I'll take the gig if anyone is offering. The wife and I had a great meal Saturday night at Dalí. No town is complete without a quality Spanish joint and now San Mateo's got one. It's taken over half of the old Gator's space. I was sorry to see the neo-soul entry in the local dining scene bite the dust, but at least it wasn't replaced by an Applebee's.

http://www.sdalirestaurant.com/index2.html

There is quite an array of tapas on the menu so we had to mull it over a bit. I want to go there with my FC posse soon so we can order 20 plates or so and get a bite of each.

We were comped the Gambas al Ajillo (garlic shrimp) and they did not disappoint. The sauce was more broth based than what I've had in the past. I made my version for dinner last night, to rave reviews.

The Jamon Serrano was good but not the ethereal paper thin slices of Iberian ham I had conjured up. One of my future recipes calls for it but at $18 for 8 oz. at latienda.com, I think I'll have to make do with prosciutto.

The mainstay tapa you'll find in every bar in Spain was next. They called it Tortilla de Patatas but I've called it Tortilla Española ever since I was wolfing down chunks of it with a beer or coffee when I was roaming Madrid in the fall of 1980. I've had, and made, better than the Dali version. I've also had, and made, worse. Theirs was a little dry but pretty good.

We also had a damn good beet salad before they brought out the piece de resistance, Paella de Mariscos. My old land lady in Madrid cranked out a heavenly version but this one came close. The rice and seafood were cooked perfectly and it had chunks of chicken and chorizo. I've tried making this before and have only embarrassed myself. When I was living in sin on 7th Ave in SF many moons ago, I had friends come over for what has since become known as the “crunchy paella”.

Towards the end of the meal, we were visited by the Argentinian owner. We told her we saw The Chron review. She said the phone was ringing off the hook for days after that. She also informed us of the flamenco and tango shows they put on. I'm not sure how they make room for it in their tight space. I practiced the tango in my closet when I got home to get a feel for it. Anyway, at 8pm all the tables were full so I think we have a winner here.

As we walked down B St. to the car, I noticed a 20 something kid bopping down the road with his headphones on. I can't figure the younger generation out. When I'm walking the mean streets of San Mateo, I want to be alert to every nuance. Like the fact that a foot race was breaking out. Two prepubescent longhairs decided to take each other on, but they were polite enough to wait until we got out of their way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home