DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Prospero Anno Nuovo

Only a weekend now separates me from returning to the daily grind of my corporate existence, which I'm very grateful to have nonetheless.

The week off has been enjoyable but not terribly productive. I put the kids to work taking down the Christmas lights and cleaning up the garage. They did a great job. I have to teach them how to cook.

The highlight of the week was New Year's Eve, except for SB1, who had his wisdom teeth removed. Me and the missus caught a ride with The Execs over to #1's house for a locals only, green celebration. #1 put together a hell of a Mexican feast, consisting of homemade salsas, authentic tortillas and the following handcrafted (by him) specialties: Pork Tinga, Pollo a la Crema con Quelites y Chile Poblano Asado, and Mariscos Frios con Sabor Veracruzano. #1 is a hell of a cook. I topped these delicacies off with a couple shakes of his Habanero Chipotle hot sauce. He gave us a bottle for Christmas, which will probably only last until President's Day.

#1's son and his friend were the bartenders. I was appalled that these innocent, under age young men were pressed into this duty, so I mixed my own drinks. They did a great job after they learned the hard way that you have to hold the top on the cocktail shaker.

We spent quite a bit of time on the front patio. #1 recently installed a heater out there, for which I'm sure he bought a carbon offset. I fluttered between the inside and outside groups. I like to spread my charisma. At one point, I heard some Italian being spoken. I looked over and saw a friend's mother chatting with The Exec. Just as in our 2003 Italy trip, The Exec had his head cocked toward the speaker with a flummoxed look, repeatedly saying “Si, Si”.

We wrapped things up by watching the replay of the Time Square ball drop. Being a clueless oaf, I planted myself in the easy chair in front of the TV and began a running, tequila aided, commentary. I had a hard time watching Dick Clark and probably made a few untoward comments. The guy needs to pack it in. Then Rhianna came on to do a song. I almost didn't recognize her with her shirt on. Lastly, we were treated to The Black Eyed Peas. I believe I said something to the effect of “Remember when entertainers had talent”.

At least my friends are still talking to me. I know this because Mrs. Exec woke us up on New Years Day with a 9:45am phone call.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/02/2010 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I say "si si" because I "capiche." Capiche? I also say "va bene." And I use my hands alot. This much got me through Italy and home safe not once but twice. The trick has nothing to do with language. You just have to look like your "molto bene," and you're accepted.

     
  • At 1/04/2010 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you on the 'where's the talent?' thing, but (not to be smug about it) her name is Rihanna, so wake up and smell the pop culture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home