DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, December 23, 2007

He Read It

"I have had an orthodox career and I wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time, I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it and I can't deny the fact you like me--right now, you like me." Sally Field, "Places in the Heart" Oscar acceptance speech

I write this with tears of joy streaming down my face. I could not have put it any better than Sally Fields. I finally feel respect from The Exec. I can’t deny it. He read my blog. He even made a comment. And the Banker read it too. So did Unc. It’s almost too much.

I’m getting in the holiday spirit. By now you’ve received my annual holiday letter, and no doubt have re-read it several times. We got together with the locals yesterday for a pizza lunch and then dropped off some gifts at the FC fire station. We’ve been doing this for years and it has become a village tradition. Yesterday evening it was over to The Exec’s house for his birthday celebration. He hits 54 tomorrow. My wife and I couldn’t stay for the entire time as we had my brother and sister coming over for dinner at 6. We had a mild conflict as to when we were going to leave The Exec’s party. I proposed 5:50. She countered with 5:55. I suggested a compromise of 5:53. We got out of there at 6.

The pre-Christmas dinner at our house was merry. They brought some delectable Frank Family Cab, which was a perfect complement to my wife’s lasagna. My brother was looking dapper. It seems he’s finally gotten the hang of that beard trimmer. We exchanged gifts and they headed out into the night. They’ll be spending the holidays with their families as we await the arrival of my in-laws.

Happy Festivus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home