DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, August 18, 2007

All In a Day’s Work

The Belgian boss came back from three weeks of vacation last week so he decided to take yesterday off to rest up. I’m in charge until Monday and the power’s going to my head. I think it’s time to order a DS3 to my house. For the uninitiated, a DS3 is a high bandwidth circuit, 45Mb. I need one for the important work I do whilst I telecommute. I’m generously compensated because of my DS3 knowledge and my political savvy. I shot off a handful of emails, to all the right people, during my vacation last week. That gave the impression I’m your standard respectable workaholic. But it was a façade. I get the job done but I’m not really fulfilled. I long to get back to my first love, interpretive dance, but there’s no money in it.

Yesterday was a good day. In addition to wielding my power, I went to do the weekly shop and the zombies were not out in force. I was able to get in and out of Safeway lickety-split. I think many of them were out of town for the premiere of Nicole Kidman’s new movie “The Invasion”. Per the plot synopsis, “Now Carol's only hope is to stay awake long enough to find her young son, who may hold the key to stopping the devastating invasion.” That’s some kid! My son is only capable of emptying my refrigerator and wallet. Right now he’s back east with my wife doing college tours. When he gets back it’s my turn. I’ll be bringing him to CSM, Skyline and Foothill. They come back tomorrow. In addition to the gourmet meal I will prepare, I have the perfect homecoming present for my wife. It’s a grande Starbucks beverage coupon I got with my Safeway points. I’m sure she’ll be thinking of me when she redeems it with her Club Card.

I’m attending a big event with the locals today. I had to turn down an invite from Posh and Becks to celebrate Posh’s new book deal but I couldn’t disappoint the village. I’ll have a chance to see numbers 1 and 2 and The Exec. I’m not sure that The Exec will welcome me with open arms. We did him and his family a big favor, or as my bud The Wig would call it, “a solid”. During their recent vacation, we took care of their dog and my son even slept over there a couple nights. That dog is a little insecure. As The Exec often says, plant a bean, get a bean. When my son went out of town before they got back, I rounded up a few feral cats to keep the dog company those last few nights. The animals got along great but I hear it didn’t work out so well otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home