DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Horse Paste

The headline reads "Rand Paul Claims 'Hatred for Trump' Hindering Research Into Ivermectin as COVID Treatment".  I’m not denying the Trump hatred, but if the shit for brains Republicans want to shit their brains out, have at the horse meds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixf-tXN2ux0

Meanwhile that weenie Madison Cawthorn is talking about bloodshed in regard to “rigged” elections that even Ron Johnson knows were free and fair.  And Kevin McCarthy is threatening the telecoms about releasing 1/6 data.  Step back Kev.  I did not devote 33 years of my life to the telecom industry to listen to that shit.

Football season is almost upon us.  Did any of you chuckleheads check out Drew Magary’s “Why Your Team Sucks” series?  I need to know.  Kick in for a month’s subscription of defector.com.  You’ll thank me.

Cam Newton just got released.  I think he should take the money and call it a career.  And the Jags traded Gardner Minshew to Philly for a sixth-round pick and a used Mr. Coffee machine.  What the hell happened to Minshewmania?  And a while back I saw an article stating that Michael Thomas and the Saints are working on their issues and not a trade.  My wife says the same thing, except that a trade is possible.

SF has decided to pay people to not shoot others.  What a concept.  A wise guy in the comments asked if he could have the money if he stabbed somebody.

https://sfist.com/2021/08/30/sf-will-begin-paying-people-to-not-shoot-other-people/

So, what has DJ been up to since his last distant post?  All sorts of fun stuff.  We flew to DC to meet up with the kids and do some tourist stuff.  The Korean War memorial was closed.  I had seen it once and wanted to go again.  I recall the statues having an eerie effect.  We did visit the Vietnam and WWII memorials, as well as the Lincoln and FDR. We posed as downtrodden Depression era food line recipients, copying the #1s from years ago. Our last night featured a multi-course meal at Nina May.  Thumbs up.

We then headed up to Stone Harbor, NJ to spend quality time with the in-laws.  The weather was great for the most part and I rode the waves as best I could one day.  We carried on our tradition of pre-dinner cocktails out on the deck.  One evening we went down to the beach to spread some of Nick’s ashes in the Atlantic.  My boy loved the ocean. It was a somber and touching moment.

The last leg of our trip was Richmond, home of The Wigs.  Dr. Joe and wife came up from NC, so we had another of our Binghamton boy reunions.  The Wig went to one of his favorite brew pubs to get several selections.  One came in a wine bottle, and another was like a fruit smoothie.  Just gimme a freakin’ IPA Wig.  We got a tour of a home across the street that he recently purchased and will be renovating.  We also saw the fenced in statue of Robert E. Lee, which will be the last of the Confederates to come down on Monument Ave. As always, the hospitality at The Wig Palace was top notch.

The week we got back we had a beer can chicken fest at our house with #1 and Barbie, TCG and Katie, and #2.  The latter three had left their Tahoe abodes to get away from the smoke. Unfortunately, the fires are still going so we may see them back down here soon.  My bud The UK is also keeping tabs on the situation in Kirkwood.  I’m praying for a super rainy winter.

This past weekend we were treated to a fantastic Napa experience at the new second home of The Banker and Tina along with another FC couple. The first night we dined out at Michael Chiarello’s Bottega in Yountville.  That was some seriously good chow. I was introduced to liar’s dice later that night.  I was getting the hang of it but finally had to rack out around 11:30. I think the rest of the crew stayed up for a while longer.  The next day’s highlight was wine tasting at Sodaro.  Our host was a knowledgeable and gracious young man who grew up in Napa.  My review of the wines was “far superior to the swill I usually drink”.  We all bought bottles to take home.

That evening we had an outdoor dinner at their local restaurant.  The Banker’s boss and wife joined us.  I learned that he had played football at UC Davis, along with The Jet’s Ken O’Brien. I told him I played basketball for my high school JV team.  I was charged with picking the wine for the evening.  I eschewed the several $1700 bottles on the list and settled for the Ridge Paso Zin.  That selection was unavailable, so they gave me a discount on the Ridge Lytton Springs.  I jumped on it.

We said our goodbyes the next morning to head back to our mundane FC existence.  Molto grazie amici!!




1 Comments:

  • At 9/02/2021 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see a pattern of you staying at friends houses across the country. Some people would refer to this as freeloading.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home