DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Big Holiday Fun

I was talking to my muse The Wig on Friday.  During that telephonic interlude, I committed to having a post up by the end of the weekend.  Therefore, the mess below is his fault.

We had a big week here in beautiful Foster City.  The kids came home, and we kicked it off with our first ever family visit to Levi’s Stadium.  We were not acquainted with tailgate protocol, but we enjoyed ourselves and managed not to piss off any of the veterans. The seats we got were pretty high up but still afforded a good view of the field.  The 49ers held their own but eventually went down to Da Bears.  We saw almost as many Bears fans as 49er fans

Christmas Eve there were 22 people over from the village.  It was The Exec, The Hotelier, TCG and #2 and family members.  It was The Exec’s 65th birthday and we had a little video tribute to the geezer.  Each family brought a lasagna and we had salad and bread.  We’ve gotten away from the Feast of the Seven Fishes since our organizer #1 headed to Singapore.  This may sound familiar as I said the same damn thing in a December 2017 post.

The party really started going full tilt around 8pm.  That is when I announced that I was setting the timer for 10 minutes and everybody had to get out when it went off.  I got complaints about dessert not having been served yet. I told them that they could cup their hands at the front door and I’d scoop in some tiramisu on the way out.  Against my wishes, the party lasted until after 10.

The next day was a kick back Christmas.  I got the pair of slippers I had requested so I was good.  I went against tradition and got my wife a pair of earrings handmade by her cousin, as opposed to the usual Hillsdale Mall gift certificate.  The kids got more than they deserved.

Thursday night was tapas night for 12.  We had Unc and Mashie over along with our Belmont/Monterey friends, who are the parents of SB1’s girlfriend.  I gotta come up with a blog name for them.  We had quite an array of Spanish delicacies, including tortilla espanola.  There were supposed to be two of those, but my luck ran out on the second one, which ended up in the compost.  Other tidbits served were marinated mushrooms, asparagus with jamon, meatballs, roasted almonds and manchego cheese.

The next night was my family.  The kids had a great time seeing their cousins, the oldest of which is a pastry chef and provided a primo dessert.  I went with the tried and true brisket for dinner.  Given it was my family, no gifts were exchanged.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish my thousands of readers a happy and healthy 2019.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home