DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Stupor Bowl Sunday

Well, it was an exciting game for once. I was rooting for the Giants to boot. I used to be a Giants fan back in my NY days. I converted to Niner fandom like every chardonnay and brie Bay Area yuppie back in the 80s. But like my old man, I’ve generally lost interest in pro sports. Now I watch my kids do their inter-scholastic competitions.

It was a big weekend for the daughter. Friday night was The Catfight, the Notre Dame Tigers vs. the Presentation Panthers. #1 and his wife joined us for what turned out to be a barn burner. The stands were packed as we won by two in double OT. My wife sat between #1 and me. I thought I’d miss talking to him but that wasn’t the case. I was able to save him $10 by letting him use my hoops pass. I guess one could say he owes me $10. Maybe he’ll re-pay me at next weekend’s crab feed. Saturday night ND took St. Francis by 13.

I also spent some time at the club this weekend. I was there for a tribathalon on Saturday when I ran into The Exec. We exchanged pleasantries but relations have been strained since the blog battle began. As he showered in the next stall, I did learn something new about The Exec. He has a very wide stance.

I was then off to Safeway to get the week’s vittles. They were having a special on bottled water. I usually get a case every couple weeks. They had a “buy two, get three free” sale. I gave it some thought but since I had left my forklift at home, I just picked up one. It was the Arrowhead that was on sale. It wasn’t my favorite brand, Crystal Geezer, but it’ll do. As I was checking out, I perused the cover of Life and Style magazine. Angelina Jolie was the topic. They said a medical nurse had to be dispatched to their house because of a high risk pregnancy. That gave me pause. What kind of nurses are there besides medical ones? I’ve nursed a hangover or two but I don’t think that applies

Today I went for a swim at the outdoor pool. I was going to send a note to my good upstate NY friend JB to let her know there was a chill in the air when I got out of the pool. But since it was only about a 10 degree difference between here and there, the antagonistic effect would be minimized. I did chat briefly with my good bud Wig, who is enjoying some ski time in Jackson Hole and Park City.

That’s a wrap on this weekend. Blue Monday looms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home