DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Friday, January 11, 2008

El Viejo Regresa

Simon and Garfunkel did a tune called El Condor Pasa. They took a Peruvian folk song, kept the music and changed the lyrics. I plan to do the same thing. I'll also be making a music video. This will all be based on the return of my father from his most recent East Coast pit stop. He flew into SFO last week, after a weather related overnight stay in Phoenix. He and his wife said Arizona was nice. I was going to suggest that maybe he should consider it the next time he feels like moving. One of the selling points that came to mind was the ability to fry eggs on the sidewalk in the summer. After some thought, I kept my thoughts to myself.

The rain wasn't too bad as I picked them up at the airport. We drove to Daly City, where their new apartment is. I waited in the car as they went into the rental office. I figured it would be about 10 minutes. About half an hour along, I decided to step in to see what was going on. They had almost wrapped things up. It took a little longer because my dad drives a hard bargain. He hammered that poor rental agent until he got a 20% reduction in the rent, plus turn down service on weekends. As the line in El Condor Pasa goes, I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

Afterwards I drove them over to the shopping center to pick up a few necessities for their abode. As his wife went into Safeway, the old man spotted the nearby Home Depot and bolted from my car. By the time I was able to catch up with him, he had a cart full of power tools. I spent about 15 minutes trying to convince him I couldn't fit all that stuff plus the groceries in my trunk. "Who the hell needs groceries" he groused. Eventually he came around. In the video, this will be where the haunting pan flute music begins, as he dejectedly re-shelves the Skil saw and cordless drill.

1 Comments:

  • At 1/20/2008 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The next time the fossils get together, we need to have the young man along.

    He can teach us how to live.

    Plus, he can reduce the average age of the group.

    By the way, does he like cigars.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home