DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Saturday, November 28, 2020

It Is Always the Weekend Now

 Blogging is hard. I’m sitting here at my tiny desk trying to sort through the madness of the past few weeks, from Rudy’s unfounded rants and bad dye job to the fact that Sidney Powell is too crazy to even be part of his team.  Somebody must have released the kraken in her brain. I also saw that Randy Quaid had some unconventional thoughts that POTUS re-tweeted, which prompted Jimmy Kimmel to say that Quaid "makes Gary Busey look like Dr. Fauci".  We’ll be getting rid of Trump soon enough, but not before a pardon spree as well as all his efforts to gum up the transition.  I long for the days when, as my corporate friends say, he is no longer “top of mind”.

I may come back to politics, but I’ll veer into my prosaic, personal reality for now.  Since my last post, I have become a retiree.  We had a nice little get together in my back yard on Sunday to celebrate my future life of sloth. I put out a gift table and was not disappointed. I got some good bottles of cheer and the cool apron pictured at the bottom of this post. The crew had a good time, but the weather was chilly, so my wife had to pull out the Costco blankets she had purchased for exactly this reason. However, we will have the outside heaters installed by the end of the year.  As part of that process, we now have a moat outside our house.  I’d like to keep it and stock it with alligators to fend off any possible sieges, but it is only temporary, allowing our electrician and PG&E to up our amperage.



The trenching was done on Thanksgiving Day, by the same folks that re-did our backyard.  We then had a Zoom call with the kids.  I pulled out my guitar, a retirement gift from The Wolv, and did the openings of 25 or 6 to 4 and Iron Man for them.  They were bowled over by my talent, but I will not rest on my laurels. I plan to expand my repertoire soon. Later that day, we had Unc and Mashie over for a social bubble turkey dinner.  The chow was good, and we then settled in for a viewing of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, which I had never seen before.

In celeb news, Matthew Perry is getting engaged to the "greatest woman on the face of the planet".  He stole that line from me because that is how I always refer to my wife. Their age gap is only 22 years so I’m figuring this will last five to ten.  If they end up spending a lifetime together, I’ll be surprised, but happy.  Celebrities are people too, and I have no beef with Mr. Perry.

That’s about it.  December will soon be upon us, so the temperature at night may well be dipping into the 30s.  If you people stay on the right side of me, I may let you hang out under my pergola heaters in the coming days.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home