DJ's Detritus

A Creative Writing Class Dropout's Last Refuge

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bus Stop

I was putting Sonny Boy Two on the school bus today. It’s usually not my job but I was exhibiting some flexibility in regards to the duty roster. I went out to the bus to say howdy to the driver. I was expecting the boy to follow closely behind. But he threw me a curveball. When I looked back, he was standing in the doorway with a fist full of paper towels. I went back and realized he had grabbed the first one in the roll and pulled it all the way across the kitchen. He was trying to send me a message, and was quite reluctant to head out to the bus, but this was one of those father/son lack of communication scenarios. He finally relented and caught his ride, as I piled up a dozen or so paper towels. When my wife came home, she informed me that he wanted his nose wiped. I guess I need to get with the program.

I’m reconsidering in Twitter. Nah! But my negative bias is easing. Originally I thought of it as Ashton Kutcher’s blather and John Mayer tweeting things like "This Heart Didn't Come With Instructions". If some dude said something like that to me to explain his love life, I’d slug him. But that’s another story. #1 pointed me to a Twitter feed that gave me a few chuckles.

http://twitter.com/Roland_Hedley

And the UK decided to rip me off. He’s an upstate NY wiseass.

http://twitter.com/FakeDJsDetritus

Speaking of upstate NY wiseass punks, I’m one of them. I didn’t plan to be, it just turned out that way. As I walked into the club the other day, this older gentleman was asking one of the staff members, “Have you seen a cap with ‘Millie’s Coffee’ on it?”. I was going to chime in, “Millie’s Coffee? Nope, haven’t seen it”, but I restrained myself. What is it that drives me to such depths, to be a plebeian humorist manqué? I’ll discuss it with my shrink tomorrow.

My microwave tells me to “Enjoy Your Meal” when the timer goes off. If most of my meals were coming out of a microwave, I doubt I’d enjoy them. Last night’s dinner was meticulously prepared by my wonderful wife. No microwaves were involved in the preparation of the Salade Niçoise. I’m on a diet for the first time in my life. I got inspiration from #2. I’m trying to get rid of a little bit of what you see in my post from 1/24/08.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home